Day 260

The end of Day 260. It's actually been a great day! I've been trying to educate myself, starting with Black-American history, I walked outside, and I've been watching a kdrama called City Hunter. Yes, I'm. . .I guess. . .having a Lee Minho marathon before I watch King: Eternal Monarch.

So. . .you may be wondering, "Why the serious face, then?" And to answer your question, today, while learning more about the history of our black community, I ran into a thesis. A thesis that talks about the Red Summer of 1919.

See, I've been going back and forth. My learning journey started with "Redlining." Then, I learned about FDR and the New Deal. Then, I read articles about World War II and the propaganda that was used to make Black Americans fight in the war, and ended up backtracking to World War I and that's when I ultimately saw a brief description of the Red Summer of 1919.

And today, I opened a little bit of that box, and I see why no one really wants to talk about it. I thought I was going to be horrified of our history when I got to Slavery and Civil Rights, but just reading the first couple of pages from the thesis about the Red Summer of 1919. . .I tried so hard not to cry, but damn. I'm sorry, but it was really hard not to, and I feel this way, only looking at 5 pages of the thesis.

Just thinking about it, if this is how I feel about it. . .then, I can't even and will never truly fathom how our black brothers and sisters feel about it. I'm wondering if the generation after mine is even getting taught about these events. If they aren't, they really should because even if it is dark and terrifying, we all need to know the truth because even if it will be a painful history to read about, I think this chapter alone can help us be more compassionate, more open-hearted when our black brothers and sisters speak, and ultimately, bring us a step closer to unity. I believe that's how powerful this history that we avoid talking about truly is.

Anyway, I will stop talking about it for today. I know this one is rough, but I hope you guys will have a good night and sweet dreams. ☺️💜 I genuinely love you guys, and I hope you love or will come to love yourselves, too. ☺️💜