Retrouvaille Chapter 22

RETROUVAILLE: French word meaning to find each other again.

When two hearts meet after being apart for a time, the world fades away as they meet and share the purest of loves. They are invincible at that moment, and that is the magic of their love...

Tina sat in the back patio area of the restaurant waiting.  The sun had set and the evening had brought coolness to an unusually warm day.  The fire ring sat in the center of the patio and brought a nice glow that gave her an unintrusive view of a couple quietly sharing an intimate conversation.  The woman lightly touched her partner in a flirtatious manner, giving off the idea that this was their first date.  Tina smiled in a reflective manner to herself.  Tina's white linen blouse moved with the cool breeze that made its way through the patio and gave off the scent of Jazmine that was growing on trellises around the patio. She sat back taking in the room and its occupants. Being that it was the middle of the week, the crowd was light allowing for privacy even while in the open dining area.  She decided this was not a night for alcohol, so she sipped her iced tea slowly, patiently waiting with hopeful anticipation.

Bette stepped into the restaurant, quietly assessing the room. As her eyes scanned around, she recognizing the back of a strawberry blonde woman, a woman no matter what angle would always be etched into her mind. Bette's slacks swayed with her graceful stride as she slowing made her way through the dining area garnering looks from both men and women as she approached the door to the patio area. Her gaze never left the woman's back and as she drew closer she noticed how the light from the fire ring danced off the woman's hair giving off an image as if it she was a dream.  Bette approached the table from behind the woman.  As she made her way around the table she caught the woman's gaze and gave Tina an uncertain version of her enchanting Porter smile.  Tina gave her back a kind smile, something that wasn't an act that was studied, false or something learned.  It was genuine and captivating all at the same time.  Bette held the table as she slowly sank down into her chair never breaking eye contact getting lost in the emotions swimming in Tina's gentle hazel eyes.  Tina held her gaze despite her desire to lower her eyes from the intensity of emotions that were emanating from the expressive brown eyes before her as Bette placed her purse on the chair next to her.  Bette gripped the cloth napkin that sat on the table in front of her in an effort to contain the level and variety of emotions that moved within her as she continued to gaze at the woman she had known for close to half her life.  Tina slowly, hesitantly reach over and grasped Bette's hands.

*******

It had been three week since Bette first reached out to Tina to try to begin the healing process of their relationship.  They had been meeting twice a week slowly pealing back the layers of feelings regarding each other, their family and their relationship.  Bette's and Tina's love for each other was driving the commitment to working through their issues and once they had reconciled those issues, they would discuss what they wanted next.  Neither wanted to go down the path of another break up.  They both knew this was it, if they couldn't make it work this time then they had to resign themselves that they would not be together as lovers and maybe not even as friends.

Angie had mentioned to Tina that she felt and noticed a difference in Bette when Tina was around.  She asked what was going on, but Tina felt it was too soon to reveal what her and Bette were trying to do about their relationship.  Tina knew that Angie desired a reconciliation and she did not want Angie to experience another disappointment. Angie had taken Dr. Stewart's advise and discussed with both Bette and Tina about the college campus visits. Both Tina and Bette admitted that they had let it slip their minds and promised to get Angie to her university visits. However, the bigger issue was how Angie was feeling about her role in their relationship.  Angie had decided not to tell her parents that she was thinking that she couldn't go away to college because of what was happening between them.  She didn't know how to tell them and she didn't want them to worry and focus on her.