The End of One Journey is the Beginning of the Next Chapter 28 and Epilogue

Two Months Later

Bette watched as James tried to help maneuver a couple of large crated paintings into the Gallery floor.  Two men were backing up through the hall with the paintings on a dolly.

"Watch the corners."  James directed, "Don't hit the doorframe."  James looked at Bette and sighed, "I'm never using these guys again."

The men settled the paintings on the ground next to the wall and headed back to their truck for more with James quickly following.  Bette rolled her eyes and followed James.  She was here to discuss this years charity event and did not expect James to be so involved with the delivery of the Holloman pieces that would be showing next week.  The men started down the ramp with James giving directions that were clearly ignored.  The lead man backing up and stumbled when his foot slipped on the curb that was still wet from the earlier rain.  Trying to correct himself and not drop the painting he collided with a woman who had been walking by.  Bette and James watched helplessly as the woman fell into the planter sitting in front of the Gallery.  Bette's phone buzzed and then rang just as she and James moved to the woman's aid.  Bette stopped short seeing a dog, but James didn't and tripped over the dog that had been sitting next to the woman patiently. 

"Jack, are you ok boy," the woman said has she reached out and the dog met her hand. 

Bette's eyes went wide and her hands went to her mouth, "Oh my God, you're blind."

James gave the dog a once over while the woman ran her hands over the dog. "He's wagging his tail, I think he is okay."

Bette looked over at the woman and notice blood coming from her forehead, "James," she said pointing to the woman's forehead as she shut her eyes. "Shit," she said quietly to herself.

Bette pulled out a Kleenex from her bag handing it to James.  She then reached back in to grab her phone, seeing a notice for a text from Tina and a call from Peggy.  "I'm gonna call 911," Bette said.

"No, no, I'm okay," she said as she jerked back from James' attempt to dab the blood.  She took the Kleenex and held it to her head as she reached for Jack's harness.

James pushed it towards her hand, "I'm sorry, for bumping into you." James paused, "You have a beautiful dog, Golden Retriever?"

The woman stood and started to walk away when she heard James.  She stopped but didn't turn around.  Her shoulders rose and fell, as if she was taking a breath.  "A Golden Labrador Retriever," she said in exasperation.

Bette watched James.  She had known this man for over 20 years and she knew when he was smitten.  James had been divorced for a few years and had thrown himself into the Gallery, much like Bette had thrown herself into the Election.  Bette texted Tina while she watched the exchange between James and the woman.

"Hey Babe, what's up?"

"It's gonna be a late night, I'm thinking of just heading home when I am done." 

Bette sighed, lately they had been spending more nights apart.  Their careers were usually the only obstacle to them being together, much like it was in New York.  They did not spend many nights apart when they first started to reconcile.  Both had managed to adjust their schedules, but as time went on the tug from their jobs started winning.  This was currently the issue that Tina kept bringing up in couple's counseling.  Although Bette kept reassuring Tina that she respected Tina's career goals and would not allow Tina to put her career goals aside if they did not align with hers, it was apparent that Tina's angst stemmed from Bette's past behaviors of making assurances and then not following up with her behaviors.