A Journey Long Overdue Chapter 13

Tina pulled into the parking lot that was identified as her destination on her GPS. She parked and looked at the clock on her dashboard, realizing she was 30 minutes early for her appointment. Tina sat in thought, recalling how Nat was great when Tina explained what she needed and how she understood Tina's request for confidentiality. Nat was able to give her a referral to a psychologist specializing in treating adults with childhood trauma. Alice had spoken of Nat's sensitivity and stability and Tina saw it. Nat had already shown her ability to manage the often impulsive behaviors of Alice. Nat's background as a therapist gave her a natural patience that any partner of Alice's needed. Tina had hoped Nat could give her some direction on her quest to resolve long unaddressed issues from her childhood that seem to be the reason for on going difficulties in her close relationships. When Alice first got involved with Nat, she shared with Tina her experience of Nat as gentle, understanding and supportive, especially when Alice started talking about her painful breakup with Tasha. Tina was hoping that Nat's sensitivity would help her not to be quick to judge her and the mess Tina had made with her family, as she could see Nat becoming a good friend. 

Tina looked at the clock, took a deep breath and said to herself, "Here we go."

Tina walked up to the reception desk and checked in.  She was given a stack of papers to fill out, typical of having a new doctor.  Just as she was finishing up, a tall brunette woman about Tina's age walked up to her and said, "Hi, I'm Dr. Kathy Cron, you must be Tina Kennard?"  She reached out her hand and gave a reassuring smile.  Tina nodded as she stood up and took the doctor's hand.  "Nat called and told me to expect you.  I'm glad you decided to come.  I understand how hard it can be to take the first steps," she said as she lead Tina to her office.

An hour later Tina emerged from the office building unsure what to make of her first session with Dr. Cron.  She had been in therapy before, so she had a running idea of how things should go.  Dr. Cron put Tina at ease very quickly and the doctor settle her mind enough that she was able to give Dr. Cron an idea of what brought Tina to see her.  Tina had a sense from how Dr. Cron approached the session, that this would be a different experience for her, and hopefully one that could help her resolve some things that have impacted her entire life.

As Tina drove back to Shane's she began to wonder what her next steps would be in dealing with her ex-wife. Setting aside the obvious, they still had to communicate about Angie. So much was about to happen in their daughter's life, and being on the same page would be very important as they helped Angie navigate the next couple years. Angie had mentioned that Bette went back to New York a few days after the auction. This had surprised Tina at first, but then as she thought about it, it made sense. Bette was attempting to gain some control over the situation and by leaving she is controlling it. Using Angie as a go between was not a good idea, although it seemed they had been doing that ever since Tina told Bette she was engaged.  Tina decided at the very least that had to stop.   Angie was already being affected by her parents' issues and everyone was noticing it, having to be a go between was only make it worst.  Nat had been correct in her assessment of the situation with Angie and when she emailed Bette, Bette had agreed to getting a therapist for Angie.  Angie was where she was going to start addressing the damage. Tina smiled to herself as she headed back to Silver lake, she now had a place to start. 

*********

Angie was FaceTiming with Bette when Tina got back from her appointment.  Tina had decided not to tell Angie about her decision to go back into therapy, she didn't feel comfortable explaining what had happened to her as a child nor did she think it was appropriate.  Tina could over hear the conversation her daughter was having with her other mother.  Tina sensed an undertone of worry in Angie's voice. It was then confirmed when she heard Angie ask Bette if she was okay. Tina listened more closely to catch Bette's response, which was that she was just tired. Tina had noticed that Bette had been saying that a lot lately. Tina made a mental note to ask Shane. Bette was never one for doctors and often waited to the last minute to address any health concerns, Tina thought with a rumbling of concern.