The intensity, The emotion, The honesty Chapter 20

Tina let herself into Bette's house with a bag of groceries.  It was her turn to cook Sunday dinner.  Tina had been looking forward to family dinner all week.  Her schedule had become more demanding and she was finding it more and more difficult to coordinate family time.  She called out Bette's and Angie's name as she walked into the kitchen and put the bag down along with her keys and purse.  She looked around and saw two boxes on the dining table and then her eye caught Bette sitting outside on a bench swing that had been set up for the view of the cityscape.  It was dusk and the lights across the city were just coming on as Tina walked out towards Bette.  Tina had come to understand that Bette would come out to this bench and sit when she had things on her mind.  Tina recalled how she had insisted on their 2nd home in Los Angeles having a view.  Bette had always been one to stare out in space when thinking and Tina had thought it as a must have for their new home. 

"Hey, you okay?" Tina asked as she sat down next to Bette.

"Yeah," Bette said as she took a drink of red wine. "Just tired."

Tina furrowed her brows as she looked at Bette.

Bette knowingly smiled, "It's been a long day. I'm okay, really." Bette paused, "Angie called she is held up, so we have a little time before you need to start dinner."  Bette looked out again across the cityscape.  "What do you have planned?"

Tina, trying to be humorous, decided to make stir fry.  Bette and Tina had a long history of burning stir fry due to sexual encounters and Tina thought her and Bette's relationship had gotten to the point that this kind of humor would not cause any misunderstanding. 

Tina got up as she said, "stir fry."  Tina paused held her breath and watched Bette's reaction.

Bette looked up at her from the corner of her eye and raised a smile.  "Good choice, I haven't had a good stir fry in a long time." 

Tina let out a breath and smiled, "I am gonna go grab a glass of wine, would you like me to pour you some more?"

"Bring the bottle that is on the counter.  I think you will like it.  I got it in Paris the last time I was there." 

Tina came back a few minutes later with the bottle and a glass for herself.  She sat again, poured herself a glass and topped off Bette's.  "Thanks again for Thanksgiving, it has been a long time since we had a family holiday."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It was nice having you cook the spread.  You were always good at those things.  I think Angie really liked having everyone around the table again.  With you now living in Los Angeles, maybe we can start that tradition again,"  Bette smiled. 

"Our little girl is growing up.  Tying her down for family holidays may be more difficult in a few years," Tina looked out across the cityscape.  It did not go unnoticed to her that this was the first time they had sat together relaxing and enjoying the view from this home. 

"Yeah," Bette sighed. "She is growing up and going to be off to college soon," Bette took a sip of her wine, "How has your week been?" Bette asked casually.

It was nice being able again to have these calm inconsequential conversations with Bette.  They were now able to share the simple things of daily life without worrying about stirring up emotional baggage.  Their relationship had turned a corner in the last month.  Tina wasn't sure why, but it seemed Bette was calmer, less stressed, especially when she was around. 

"Busy, but a good busy.  Everyday is like, go, go, go because there is so much going on between all the productions.  I wasn't sure if this change was going to work for me, but the challenge is there with enough involvement in the productions to meet my creative appetite.  The staff is great and it looks like the traveling won't be too bad.  Most of all, I am liking being near family," Tina smiled as she took a sip of her wine.  "Wow, this is good."  Tina paused, "How about you?  Worried about the charity event, I'm sure."