Unconditional Love Chapter 16

Alice, Nat and Shane were present when Tina and Bette had called Angie. The strain on both women's faces was evident, but Shane wasn't sure if it was solely due to Bette's health issues. Angie took the news about what was happening pretty well. She asked a few questions, but seemed to be watching her parents more than reacting. Tina told Angie they would call everyday so she could see Bette.  Tina and Bette both reassured her that they felt everything was going to be okay. When the call ended on Friday, Angie went straight to her room. Nat told both Shane and Alice to give her room to process the news. Angie, although young, was very perceptive and it was clear she picked up that the situation was very serious at least at this point because of the unknown. Nat had been very supportive of Shane, Alice and Angie throughout this whole ordeal.  She had mentioned more than once, that she was worried about Angie.  Nat kept reminding Shane and Alice that they needed to stay focused on Angie and her parents would manage themselves.  Shane was skeptical when Tina and Bette mentioned the plan to allow Angie to spend time with Jordi. Tina and Bette felt Angie needed the support of her friend as this situation unfolded and they were hoping Angie had learned her lesson with what had happened in San Francisco. Surprisingly, Angie spent most of the weekend moving between Shane's and Alice's houses. Angie had strong relationships with both women, but the relationships were very different in their nature.  When she needed to talk seriously, she would migrate towards Shane, when she needed to take her mind off things she went to Alice.  Angie had voiced more than once to both women that she wanted to go to New York and be with her parents. One thing was clear to both Alice and Shane, Angie's need to be near family.

Monday's call came a bit later than usual but it appeared to Shane that the two women had resolved something. Both were more relaxed and the tension that was emanating from them over the last few calls was gone.

"Baby... there is no reason for you to fly out, we have decided to come back as soon as your mom is able to make the flight," Tina said trying to sooth Angie's worries.

"When will that be and what if something happens before you guys get home?" Angie said insistently.

"Nothing is going to happen. The surgery is very commonly done in situations like this, like we told you. We are thinking we will be..." Bette looked at Tina, "Home by the middle of next week. If I can fly home sooner, then we will be back home sooner." Bette said reassuringly.

"But... come on Moms, I want to be there," Angie pleaded as her eyes welled up.

"Sweetheart, everything is going to be okay. And... I will be home to stay," Bette said hoping with this additional news, Angie would settle down.  "I'm done with needing to be in New York for the transition of the Foundation to Los Angeles.  I'll be working from Los Angeles from now on, except for special meetings." Bette paused, "I know you are concerned about me, but you don't have to be worried.  Your mom is here and we have worked out a few things.  She will be staying with us for the first couple weeks of my recovery." Bette paused again, "I know this is tough on you, but I'm fine.  I love you, Angie.  I promise you, if there was a problem, your mom and I would have you here with us." 

Angie looked at both her parents and anger that she was using to cover up her fear was emanating from her.  "Fine!" She turned to Shane as she stepped out of the view of her parents.   "Shane, can I go to Jordi's?  She has been asking me to come over."

Shane looked at Tina and Bette on the screen, not knowing what to do with Angie's obvious worried feelings. Both Tina and Bette nodded to let her go. 

Shane took a deep breath and looked at Angie with a look that said this was not a good time for this and said, "Sure." 

Alice leaned over to Shane and whispered gritting her teeth, "Living together." Neither were sure if Tina and Bette were ready to be living in the same home, but it seemed for practical reasons this made the most sense.