Is anything really possible? Chapter 17

Bette's recovery had been quick, but not surprising given Bette's health conscious habits.  Her daily routines easily transferred to the management of her recovery.  Tina sadly watched how Bette's emotional barriers returned as she gained her physical strength. They were talking and Tina saw this as a small seed of hope burrowed deep in the shattered remains of the love between them. Seeing that Bette no longer needed the physical assistance, Tina decided it was time for her to move to her own home.  Angie was not happy about this decision as she was enjoying living with both her parents.  Angie had said on multiple occasions that she was not happy with their separation and felt that it was crazy to be apart when they obviously loved each other.  The simple perspective of one so young Tina had thought at the time, but Tina knew that when parents stay close the children will be happier and healthier for it, almost an unintentional by product of that closeness.  Tina watched as Bette threw herself into her work to avoid dealing with her emotions and specifically dealing with Tina.  Bette was grateful that Tina came to her side when she needed her, but Bette was bound to her fear. She could not allow herself to open up to love that was buried in her soul. This was all a response to Tina telling her she was getting remarried. Although Tina backed out of the engagement, the damage had already been done. Bette's heart was broken and her mind was still reeling from all that had happened. Tina felt that moving to her own home may be best for both their emotional well being and give Bette the needed space to sort it all out. Tina had begun to see Bette's awakening desire for her in Bette's eyes as her resolve had begun to diminish. Saying that Bette loved Tina was too simple, their connection was an involuntary, indescribable force, Tina was Bette's mate and there would never be another for either. How Tina lost sight of this was a mystery to her.  She was now left with trying to rebuild some semblance of a relationship from the ruins left behind.   Tina felt her continued presences and reassurance would assuage Bette's many worries.  Tina knew to regain Bette's trust, she would have to show she would not leave again, and that was going to take time. 

Dani Nunez had been spending more and more time at Bette's home.  It was clear, at least to everyone but Bette, that Dani had a crush.  Dani's fiancé walking out on her didn't help much with curtailing the enchantment of Bette.   Bette had hired Dani as her assistant and it was clear Dani was team Bette.  Dani hovered closely over Bette as they discussed the new office and the artwork Bette had brought back from Paris.  Dani had reminded Tina of so many women in the past who lite up and fell over themselves in Bette presence.  In Bette's younger years, when garnering the attention of women was a game to her, she would welcome the attention.  But Bette had put that part of her life away long ago and Tina for her part, gave no attention to the looks from the various women either.  Tina could not understand why she thought Dani was different. Tina wasn't sure what Bette was really thinking when it came to this younger version of herself.  Dani had gazed in awe as Bette spoke about her quick trip to Paris with Helena to see an upcoming artist's show and to be introduced to the Peabody Gallery Curator Monsier Paul Bonnet.  During a conference call, Tina recalled how Dani responded when Helena had mentioned that Bette spoke beautiful French. Tina had laughed at the time, knowing that Bette was multilingual adding Italian and Spanish to the languages she fluently spoke. Now knowing about Bette's health issues, Tina had shown her surprise that Bette had been able to manage a trip to France before Alice's fundraiser.  Dani with her high esteem for Bette quickly stated that it didn't seem a surprise that Bette would be able to put her health concerns aside for such a trip if she felt it was important.  Tina had let that statement pass.  She didn't want to draw too much attention to her concerns about Dani, so she stood and watched quietly as she was doing now.

"Bette," Tina interrupted.  "I'm headed out to sign some paperwork for my new place.  Alice and Shane should be here around 5ish, I'll pick up something for dinner.  Do you have any preferences?"