Epilogue

Graduation*

Juliana Garrett

The principal spoke highly of us graduating as we waited for our names to start being called. Jared on the other hand was playing NBA2K14 on his phone.

"I can't; what the fuck is this shit." he said to himself. I smiled, I'll be missing this idiot. He got a full ride scholarship to the University of Louisville but was going to be enlisting in the military instead. I on the other hand got a scholarship to Columbia University in New York, NY. I started studying to be a nurse a while ago and finally decided I wanted to pursue that.

"Jared shut the hell up, he's calling names now." I laughed.

"He can call this di*k."

I bust out laughing like an idiot as Jared laughed too. On a more serious note, today was the day I would be going up North to meet my birth parents who lived in North Dakota and then flying to New York on Wednesday.

Jared and I were sad that we'd both be in two different states for school but we had to do what we had to do in order to get our education of choosing.

"Brundaniel Brown." our principal spoke.

"Now why his momma name him that?" Jared laughed.

"That is so mean! Isn't he on the team with you?!" I asked.

"Yeah but that's his momma fault."

I shook my head as our last names came close after 30 minutes. We had already stood in our alphabetized order and Jared put his game down. We were going to stop at home first to make sure we both had everything we needed for our short trip.

"Felipe Gardner" he said. Claps came as the student behind him shook hands with Jared.

"Show time." Jared said.

After the student in front of Jared exited the stage, 'Teach Me How To Dougie' started to play.

"Jared Garrett." the principal said. Jared entered the stage starting to dougie as I clapped for him. Him and the principal went way back, since middle school. Plus our principal was African American; the connections you have with teachers of your own race was crazy.

He shook hands and waved to the audience. I was more than excited. I smoothed my gown out even though it still was wrinkled, and waited for my name.

"Juliana Garrett."

I walked out as I heard my brother's scream overall.

"THAT'S MY SISTER!" he yelled. I shook hands with the principal and grabbed my diploma with the other. I shook hands with the rest of the people and walked to take my seat, next to Jared.

"That was exciting." I smiled. He smiled back at me as we hugged momentarily. The ceremony was beginning to be over after another hour and we stood for the last words.

"Good luck out there in the big world. You're now graduated class of '14." the principal said. Students threw their caps up as I held mine in order not to lose it.

"HELL YEAH!" Jared said. We jumped out of happiness and split up shortly after for me to find Ginger. I went to where I knew her grandmother was at and greeted them.

"We've made it. Hello ma'am." I said. I hugged the elderly woman as Ginger cried with tears of joy. I hugged her tightly and smashed our faces to eachother. I stared at her makeup covering the bruised eye and cried.

"We'll see eachother soon, don't worry." she said.

"And you'll be okay?"

"Yeah, my grams called the cops a few days ago when my mom's boyfriend put his hands on her. He's gone for sexual assault, and all that."