Ch. 4

Juliana Garrett

I woke up this Tuesday feeling refreshed yet dreading the thought of going to school.  My mom left a note saying she was gone and wouldn't be back until Saturday for 'work'. 

When she's gone, my brother and I usually are go to our friend's houses but we decided to host a kickback this time. My plan is to call Ginger and Laura and have them invite their boyfriends, then Jared could invite his.  

I went into his room to see him dressed up in a nice dress shirt and some jeans, even though he normally dresses like a bum to school.

"Look at you, hot date with the lunch lady?" I asked, sitting on his bed as he combed his hair in his wall mirror. He was up earlier than me for once; I hadn't even brushed my teeth yet.

"Pause, next time you come in here make sure to rinse with some listerine. I can smell you from all the way over here." He pinched his nose as I rolled my eyes. 

"If you must know, I'm going to ask this girl to formal that's in my Ceramics class." He said. 

I almost forgot about the 'Welcome Back' formal. Maybe since Darren and I are becoming somewhat friends, we could meet there.  We talked about our plan for the kickback and left 30 minutes later to school. 

As I was walking to class from the parking lot, I continued to wonder where my stalker was. He normally was right on time behind me I went to class; maybe he finally gave up on me.

Those thoughts erased as I saw him talking to some girl in the courtyard while she blushed and laughed with him.

________________

Darren Demetrio

"It's been a while but I cannot wait to go back home. Lo odio qui." I joked with my old friend, Fernanda, who I knew growing up in Sicily. She immigrated here around the same time I did and we reconnected a few years ago in our junior years of school. [I hate it here]

After finishing catching up, I continued to class and set my eyes on Juliana. As I walked to sit behind her, she ignored my presence and kept her head down into her planner.

After staying awake for most of my night reading what my father sent me, I started to feel for her. I started to want to protect her more and more from the people who call themselves her family. She's living amongst strangers and has no clue.

"Ciao bellezza." [Hello beauty]
"Who is she?" 

We spoke at the same time. Neither of us had a response to what the other said. I looked at her as she looked at me awaiting my answer.

As the bell rang, our glares at each other soon fell, and we didn't speak for the rest of the time in class. I'm hoping she learns soon that its best for her to stop asking so many questions, for neither of us needs to get hurt in the process.

I felt my phone vibrate as class continued and saw it was from my mother, frantically explaining how she was leaving back to Italy.

"Text on your own time Mr. Demetrio." The instructor said.

Ignoring the fool, I continued to read the messages and counted every minute of the clock wishing time would speed up. I was going to go home immediately after this class.

Something was wrong.

Once I heard the bell, I got up, disregarding Juliana, and went to the parking lot to drive home. I got to my house and parked, hastily walking into my home. My mother was smoking a cigarette while sitting on the couch, luggage surrounding the foyer.