Ch.12

Authornote-Howdy and Merry Christmas everyone! I decided to do a major gift this Christmas, hence everyday this week I will be uploading a chapter from today to December 26. How you all enjoy the holidays and chapters! Auto out!

"Huh?" Las Boss opened his eyes, blinded by white light. "Am… I dead?" Las Boss asked, looking around to see himself inside some kind of white space filled with seemingly screens floating around and connected by static shapes similar to branches. "Oh… My voice is working. Is this the space before revival?... Wait." Las Boss noticed the screens closer  to him, seeing moving images going about in them that he recognized.

"This is my mind!" Las Boss shouted, seeing one of his memories where he was being bullied by older kids in the orphanage. Looking around, he saw more panels with the man he often saw like a grandfather treating him to a meal to spending his nights alone in his apartment.

"But, it's really different from before. No wonder my storage is so screwed up… Could being in Elder Tales changed it?" Las Boss said, pouting at his surroundings as he floated around sideways. He looked around, seeing everything scattered and spaced out. “Man, this is a mess. I liked the sewer better than here. At least then there was breaks between the memories." Las Boss sighed, focusing on his forehead for his menus to appear. "That explains it." Las Boss said, looking at the party status. Everyone was fine, only Naotsugu and he were slightly injured. Though, he was out cold with a sleep status.

"… What is up with my menu?" Las Boss said, now looking at what cause him to stop and quickly act to save his comrades. He noticed it before, but it never made sense till now. When Las Boss asked others how their menu screens were like, they were the same as the game for all players. However, Las Boss's menus, though had same structure, was not completely the same. In fact, he recognized his menus from when he was working maintenance as a game master.Along with what normal players had, game masters had status screens for various things like the environment data and such. In fact, the only thing not in his menus was his hacks for showing off new content in live casts or to move quickly to find a player going against the rules.

However, though they were the same screens, the way they showed data has changed. Instead of numbers and other computer data, the screens gave different statuses and such. Like with the environment status, it gave him the weather, terrain, and other such details instead of the code and information it originally had for that one spot. If he had not been looking at the environment status and saw the warnings of the stairway collapsing, they would have all fell to the bottom of the ruins and possibly sent back to Akiba with dying.

"Heh… Now I think I am getting it." Las Boss grinned, seeing his memories floating around with some abuzz, barely showing anything where he "purposely" forgot the memories. "Games go through phases, even outside video games where rules often change a lot faster. They have to be played. The rules and elements worked out before the real game is a finished project. Even then, the rules and elements can change to make new games or improve the old one." Las Boss focused towards one of the buzzing screen and his body moved towards it. He touched the screen only for it to stay the same.

"I can't permanently deleted my memories as I wish I could… Not that I don't mind. It has its good points like I can still remember my parent's voices on the day I was born. Though, very fuzzy, I know they loved me before they kicked the bucket." Las Boss said with a smirk on his face.

"To deal with constant information storage over the many years, I simply denied the ones I didn't want by pushing them to the back of my head. Where it was harder to recall them so they did not take up space for the important ones… This game world adjusted my memory ability to keep all my memories without allowing access to keep with my wishes… And keep me out of the loop as well." Las Boss said, noticing through the screen the fuzzy images of his own monitor screen and now illegible code for the game on it as well. “That’s how that label and other information is being filtered and blocked.”