Chapter 74: Wandering

Chapter 74

Three days. It's been three long, excruciating days since we tried to cure Layke. By the grace of God, he's still alive and breathing. However, being lost and stranded without a car in the baking Arizona sun isn't helping his situation.

It was a huge mistake to not fill up on gas after leaving that station. We had no idea that we were about to go through a whole stretch of road that had nothing around it but boulders and desert. No rest stops. No gas stations. No rundown motels. Nothing.

What we had lasted the rest of that night and most of the next day. The van breaking down was more of a traumatic experience than a minor mishap. Other than Naomi's mental breakdown, Scooter's pessimistic attitude about Layke's physical state made everyone feel like we're laying on our death beds. Sure as hell felt like it to me. Being a native Virginian, I have no idea what this terrain is capable of, or how to even survive in the wilderness altogether. It never occurred to me that I'd be across the United States, walking aimlessly through a desert instead of my comfy little house right outside of downtown DC.

I have no idea how far we've walked. I would like to guess a good twenty miles, but with Layke's condition, it's probably more around half that. We ran out of the water yesterday night. Brianna was the one who had the last sip, even though it pissed Scooter off to high heaven. He wanted Layke to have it. Layke refused though, he argued that he's the one who's had most of the water already. To compensate, Scooter gave Layke his jacket to cover up with since the air at night gets nippy. It gets so cold that I've had to snuggle against Brianna to stay warm. The rapid change from blistering hot days to freezing nights is taking a toll on my body. I couldn't imagine what Layke feels.

I don't know if it's the severe dehydration, but this road seems like it's been going on forever. My skin is severely burned from yesterday's trek, and today's cloudless sky isn't helping. The wind is blowing the coarse desert sand across my body. It's irritating my skin so much that it feels like I was thrown from a car and slid across rocky asphalt, and now I'm covered in road rash. I would block the wind with Scooter's jacket or some of the extra clothes I have, but I know it would cause me to sweat even more than I already am and eventually cause me to faint from heat exhaustion. Although, the heat isn't the only thing making hiking down this deserted road more difficult. The gash on my back feels like it's ripping with every step, and it's sending a wave of pain down my limbs. My legs are sore from the walk, but now this pain is making them wobble and give out.

I'm not the only one having a hard time. Layke's not able to walk anymore, so he's resulted in clutching to Cameron and Scooter for support. I can tell that having to essentially carry Layke is putting a huge weight on their shoulders, not only literally but figuratively. Their bodies can't do it forever, and to be frank, neither can their souls. I know Scooter loves his brother with all his heart, but Layke's condition is slowing us down and the thought about leaving him behind is an elephant in the room.

I'm worried about Naomi and her pregnancy. Putting her body through this heat cannot be good for the baby. Since she left Moen in her pajamas, she's been freezing at night, but she refuses to let anyone help her. I don't know what to do. I don't know what she would do if she lost this baby as well. And I don't want to find out.

The heat rising from the road hazes Scooter, Cameron, and Layke as they stumble to the side of the asphalt. I see the dirt fly up from the ground as Layke's body plops down. Cameron joins, pushing his sweaty hair out of his face. With his hands on his knees, Scooter lets out a couple of breaths as I catch up to them.

"You guys good?" I ask. I throw my duffle bag to the ground.

"Yeah, just need a rest," Cameron says. He shields his eyes from the sun.