Chapter 9: Awake

Chapter 9

My eyes flutter open to the sound of snoring. My head feels like someone's hitting it with a hammer. I bring my hands up to my forehead, and to my surprise, I feel stitching holding my skin together. The area is raw, and even the slightest touch sends pain across my whole face.  

Where am I? 

I try and look around but all I see is black. I can tell that I'm laying on something plushy. It could be a bed or couch, but I can't tell. I stretch my arms out. They feel like they haven't moved in hours. My muscles are heavy and stiff. It feels nice to get my blood moving. I sit up and move to the edge of what I've been laying on. I set my feet onto the ground. It's cold. I can feel the wood grain on my toes. Where ever I am it's somewhere nice enough to have wood flooring. I stand up, balancing myself with my two shaky legs. My right foot takes the first step. My left takes the second. My right trips on something and I fall forward, landing on something hard.

"Ouch!" I hear from the thing I landed on. 

Oh my gosh. It's a person. 

There's only one person it could be. 

"Cameron?" I ask. My throat stings when I talk. My cottonmouth tells me that I could really use a glass of water. 

"Why did you jump on me?" He moans. I feel him move under my body. 

"I'm sorry." I say, " I didn't jump on you. I fell." I lift off of him, using what I slept on to steady myself. 

My eyes are adjusting to the darkness. I can make out the figure of Cameron's body lying on the floor. I can see a shadow of what I'm leaning on and it's definitely a bed. I can make out some curtains on the other side of the room. Light just peaks out the center of where the two curtains split. I use the bed as a guide and hobble my way over to them. Slowly, I open the curtains and let the harsh light beam into the room. 

My eyes flinch at the sunlight, which makes my head pound even more than it did before. Once my eyes fully adjust, I look outside the window. In the distance, I see a cute red barn that sits in the center of a clearing. Behind it is a green pasture filled with livestock. Surrounding the field is woods that go as far as my eyes can see. I look back into the room. It's decorated with country decor. There's a lace cloth placed on top of the dresser and three candlesticks placed neatly in the center of it. The bed I was laying on also has a lace detail lining the bottom of the bed frame. The pillows have lace details as well as a huge rooster in the center of them. They're the ugliest pillows I've ever seen. 

The sunlight makes my body feel warm. My fingers trace down my arms. I feel the roughness of scrapes and the puffiness of cuts run down my skin. Something must have happened to me. I don't really remember. I look down at the cuts, and my eye catches my hips. They're bare. I'm in my underwear. The bra I'm wearing is slightly stained with blood. 

"Close the curtains." Cameron moans from the other side of the bed. 

"Uh, why am I naked?" I ask raising my voice a little. I cross my arms around my breasts to hide them a little bit. 

Cameron sits up from the floor with a quick motion. His curls flop in the way of his eyes and he flinches away from the sunlight. "Don't be loud. You'll wake everyone." He stretches his arms above his head. 

"Everyone?" I say. "Where are we?"

"Remember the guys that popped our tires?"

I try to remember but my mind's fuzzy. However, I do have the faint remembrance of something being wrong with our car. "Kind of," I say.