Chapter 13: Run

Chapter 13

I sit down at the table. It's set with ceramic plates that have flower designs on them and glass cups that are full of water. Everyone is already sitting down at the table. Cameron is sitting to the left of me, and Layke to the right. There's a huge plate of meat on the table in front of me. It's probably squirrel. There's a bowl of carrots that look like they were dug up today and were not cleaned properly. A bowl of mashed potatoes lays to the left of me. It's amazing how these people can make do for themselves. They're able to go out and bring back food to eat regularly. Linda said she has a garden she tends to. They also know how to cook everything over an open fire. Honestly, their food tastes pretty good. Way better than canned spaghetti O's.

It takes me a while to notice that everyone's staring at me. They're probably surprised I cut my hair. I glance down at my empty plate to avoid their gazes.

"Your hair, I like it," Layke says as he touches its damp tips. I move away from him. He looks at me confused. 

"Please don't touch me," I whisper. Layke's cheeks flush with embarrassment. 

I can tell by Cameron's body language that he's shocked.

"When did you do that?" Daniel asks.

"A couple of minutes ago. It got too tangled," I lie.

"You look beautiful," Layke says with a hushed voice. 

When will he stop?

"Layke has a crush on Summer!" Phoebe teases from across the table. My eyes avoid everyone. This is the last thing I need right now.

Linda clears her throat. I think she feels my tension. "Let's eat."

Everyone takes turns passing the food around. I'm not that hungry, so I only put a piece of meat and a couple of carrots onto my plate. The room becomes loud with chatter. Everyone's having their own conversations. Daniel is talking to Layke and Robbie about hunting. Phoebe is talking to Linda about the horses. Scooter is talking to Cameron about what happened at the hospital. I sit quietly and pick at my food.

I hate this situation. I just want to be back with my sister. No Layke and no Cameron. I just want my sister.

I finish the food that's on my plate and listen to everyone's conversations. One after another, they get done eating, clean up, and leave the table. Linda's the last one to get up. She leaves me sitting alone with Cameron.

"Summer?" I hear his voice crack. "We're only staying for a couple more days."

"We should leave now," I say. 

"No." His voice is stern. "I cannot risk you passing out again. Imagine if we were running from infected and you collapsed right in front of me. I wouldn't know what to do. I have to be sure you're safe."

I nod my head. He's right. I can't risk my safety to get out of an awkward situation. 

I still feel dizzy. I decide to leave Cameron and get some fresh air. I make my way out the screen door that leads to the porch and bend over the railing. I feel like puking.

The sun is setting in the distance. In a couple more minutes it will be dark. I can hear the birds chirping and the grasshoppers clicking in the trees. In the field, I see a faint outline of the cows, and about a half-mile away, I can see an infected shuffling out of the woods.

I slowly walk down the steps and into the barn. I stop to pet Beauty on her neck. She breathes heavily out of her nose. I continue to walk to the back of the barn and I slowly climb up the ladder. I take the lighter that was on the metal table and light the lantern that was next to it. I sit down in the chair and lay my head in my arms.