Chapter 15: Search

Chapter 15

A note.

A note is what greeted me at my front door. Not Brianna. Not my father. But, a stupid piece of paper.

I saw it wedged in-between the door and its frame as I was walking up the driveway.

I couldn't wait for Cameron. I needed to read the note right then and there, and when I did, my heart shattered.

Summer,

We went looking for you in the city. It's been 3 days since you left. If you happen to come back home, stay here. Don't come looking for us. We will be back by Tuesday.

Ps. Brianna made us take the cat.

- Dad

Tuesday was two days ago.

They should be back by now, and they aren't.

It baffles me. Why would my father take a child into the city to look for me and Cameron? Is he really that stupid? Don't even get me started on the damned cat.

"What's wrong?" Cameron says as he walks up to me. I guess he saw my body go white and knew there was something wrong.

I can't trust my voice. I don't know if it would crack from either anger or sadness, but I keep silent and hand Cameron the note so he can see for himself.

After reading the note, Cameron's hand rubs his forehead in frustration.

"What do we do?" He asks.

"We need to go find them," I say trusting my voice a little more now.

"Summer, do you know how many infected are in the city?"

"Yes, Cameron. I've been there many times. That's why we have to go looking for them. They could be stuck there or need help. I don't want to risk it."

"We can't go ourselves. It's too dangerous." Cameron says.

I sigh. "Well, if Robbie and them help us,"

"We can't ask them that." Cameron interrupts. "They are supposed to be staying here for tonight and then leaving tomorrow morning. We've caused them enough trouble."

"I don't care. Brianna's out there and could be in danger. I'm going to ask them right now." I push Cameron out of my way and stomp up to the van. They are all gathering up their stuff to take inside the house.

"I wouldn't bother getting your stuff out of the car."

"Why?" Layke asks.

"They're not here. They went looking for me."

"Are they coming back?" Linda asks.

"The note they left said they would be back two days ago."

"Well, that doesn't mean they're not coming back," Layke says.

"I need to find them. I'm going to go with or without you, but I'm asking you guys to help me. I need more people than Cameron and me. We will cover more ground with more people. We'll find them, then come back, and you guys can leave in the morning."