Chapter 31: Bygone

Chapter 31

The instant those words come out of her mouth, my body runs cold. My fingers become numb, my vision becomes blurry. I feel frozen in time. Frightened so much that I can't move. The only thing I can hear is my heart beating a mile a minute and Bri's long forceful breathing. My chest feels like it's collapsing, I can't seem to breathe.

"It's me darling, your sister Summer." I explain trying not to sound scared in any way. "Do you remember me?"

She wipes the crust off of her eye with the back of her hand. "No."

I'm almost brought to tears. Why doesn't my own sister remember me? What did those bastards do to her! I hope to God this goes away, I need her to remember me.

"Well okay, do you know who you are?"

She slowly looks down at her hands. She inspects them like she's never seen them before. Then she touches her face with a confused look in her eye.

"No."

How is this possible? She doesn't know who she is, and if that's true, it's going to take a long time for her to remember me. I don't know what to do. Do I freak out, or stay calm and try to jog her memory? I don't think freaking out would help, but that's all I'm doing on the inside. Maybe I should get Cameron, he might know what to do. But he might be sleeping, it's almost morning and it would be rude of me to go wake him up considering how much sleep we've gotten.

"Your name is Brianna, you're twelve years old. And I'm your sister. My name is Summer, I'm eighteen."

She nods quietly and runs her hand down her arm, her fingers catch one of the implants. She quickly looks down, moving the implant, and her skin surrounding it, back and fourth.

"What's this?" She asks, her voice is groggy and soft. It sounds like she lost it. I try not to tear up as I picture her screaming her head off while the scientist put the implants in her skin.

"Do you remember anything that happened to you?" I question.

She shakes her head.

Maybe that's a good thing?

"Okay, well lets get you into some clothes." I try to change the subject, I don't want her to see me like this. It might makes her feel like something bad happened. If I can spare her from the gruesome details, I'll do it.

I walk over to the closet and look through the clothing racks. Most of the clothes will be way too big on her, but I happen to find a couple of plain navy blue tank tops that are one-size-fits-all. All the pants that were in the closet won't fit her, but I did find a pair of cargo shorts in the dresser that she could wear with a belt.

I take off her hospital gown and help dress her. She seemed a little hesitant to let me help, but she said it was okay. I brush her hair and try to put it back into a French braid as neatly as possible. After deciding that her hair was good enough, I give her a pair of socks and help put them on.

Her body moves so slowly, like it's still waking up. She can barely stand, let alone walk. I have to practically hold her up.

I know I shouldn't let her go back to sleep. I have no clue how long she would be out, and I don't want to risk it. The sun is coming up anyway, I can see the sky starting to turn a hit of orange.

"There are other people here." I say as I wipe away the dirt on her chin.

"Who?"

"Well you're favorite person other than me is here. Do you remember who that is?"