Chapter 1: Adrenaline

Chapter 1

I feel the sweat running down my forehead. The adrenaline in my veins, my shoes pounding on the road. It's like 86 degrees out, typical weather in August. The sun is falling on my shoulders making them burn. I don't want to stop running but I have to, my feet and legs are becoming numb. I search around the deserted roadway and I see an alley coming up ahead. A good place to rest.

I turn a corner and stop running to catch my breath. I drop the blood-covered hockey stick that I was holding in my hand, and put my hands on my knees and breathe heavily. I'm carrying a duffel bag that I used for my dance class, it's full of can foods that I took from an abandoned food market. I take the bag off from around my torso and set it on the ground.

"Well, only two more blocks until the car." I think to myself still winded from running.

I parked my car about two blocks away just in case someone saw it and decided to steal it, people nowadays can be unpredictable. The house that my sister and I stay in, is about an hour away. I came out here to the city to get some supplies since we were running low. We were mostly running low on food but it's good to get the essentials too.

I look around, the alley is surrounded by three buildings. There's a faint smell of garbage that's still in the dumpster located in the back of the alleyway. The dumpster is right next to a fire escape that leads to the roof of a twelve-story building. There's a small garbage can leaning up against the wall, right underneath the ladder to the fire escape.

"I can't stay here for long." I sigh while brushing my hair off my face.

Just as I'm about to pick up my duffel bag I hear it. What I was running from. Every time I hear one of their moans it sends a shiver up my spine. There's more than before, I can hear it. I quickly grab my duffel bag filled with the canned food and throw it over my shoulder, I snatch the hockey stick and start sprinting toward the fire escape.

I almost reach the fire escape when I feel a forceful yank on the duffel bag. I spin around and I'm face to face with one of the vile creatures. It came out of nowhere, it must have been behind the far end of the dumpster.

Its skin was a pale color and it was rotting away like a decomposing peel of a banana. It had blood and yellow goo dripping from its mouth and nose. Some of its teeth are missing, its hair is falling out and it smelled like rotting flesh.

The eyes scare me the most. All of them are the same. Every single person that gets infected gets those horrifying eyes. The sclera and the iris are a mucus yellow with dots of brown in them, and the pupil is pitch black. The eyes sort of look like animal eyes but with a sickly twist to them. Whenever I look into them It feels like they're staring into my soul, wanting and trying its hardest to grab a mouthful of my flesh.

I swing the hockey stick and hit it right in the middle of its stomach, but that doesn't do anything. It lunges at me with its biting teeth making me fall to the ground, dropping the hockey stick. It's now on top of me. I force my hand to its throat to stop it from biting me. Blood and goo start dripping down my hand and onto my face.

"Ugh, gross!" I scream desperately, making sure it doesn't get into my eyes or mouth.

I can see the others gaining up on me, they're slowly getting closer. There are so many of them that I can't even count. If I don't get away now, I'm going to become dinner.

I push with all my strength and finally the infected rolls over to my side, and its head smacks against the hard concrete floor. The sound makes me shiver. I flip onto my stomach and reach for the hockey stick. I grab it and shove the end of it right through its softened skull, making a squishing sound. It goes into the left eye and I can hear its brain burst into a million pieces, spraying blood all over my face, my necklace, black tank top, and chest.