Chapter 21: Hidden

Chapter 21

"Lab?" I question. "What does that mean?"

Cameron shrugs and wipes the sweat away from his forehead.

"Are they testing on them?" I gulped.

"I hope not. We'll get them out safe, Summer." He puts his hand on my shoulder to try and console me.

I touch his hand back and nod my head.

"Should we go in there?" He asks.

"I don't know. There could be a lot of soldiers down there."

"Well, we don't really have a choice." He says while flattening out his lips.

We walk into the dully-lit hallway. I make sure to close the door behind us. Cameron puts his face up to the glass on one of the single doors lining the hallway. He squints his eyes and wraps his hands around his face so he can see inside better. "I don't see anything."

"Why are you looking in there?" I ask.

"Maybe there's something in there we could use."

My mind fades away from Cameron's response. I can hear something in the distance faintly. My head turns slightly to the right and I quiet Cameron so I can listen. I hear thumping. It's getting louder. "What is that?"

I hear a door swing open. The thumping is footsteps. I hear talking coming from down the hallway and around the corner. It looks like there's another hallway by the Lab door. I didn't see it before.

Cameron quickly opens the door he was looking into and pulls me inside by the wrist. He slowly closes it, making it latch without a sound.

The room is dark. The only light is coming in from the small window on the door. I click on my flashlight and shine it around the room. I see a medical bed and a counter with a bunch of tools and cotton balls in jars. It looks like a doctor's office.

Cameron stands by the door and peeks out of the window. I kneel next to him but I let him be the lookout.

"I see two guys. One has on a lab coat and the other has on the soldier uniform." He whispers, "Shit, we need a keycard to get into the lab."

"How do you know?"

"The guy in the lab coat just used one to open the door." Cameron sighs.

"What are we going to do?"

Cameron sinks into a kneel so his face is level with mine. His eyebrows arch in thought and as soon as an idea hits his mind his eyes light up.

"How about I go out there and wait for someone to come down the hallway. I'll knock him out and take his card."

"Cameron we can't just keep knocking people out." I roll my eyes.

"It's better than killing them." He mocks.

"What am I supposed to do? Sit here and wait? What if something goes wrong?"

"Summer, I'll be fine." He looks at me with pity in his eyes.

"I can't believe that Cameron," I rub my forehead with my hand, "Something could go wrong."

"I know. I'm scared, Summer."

Why is he scared? He's Cameron. The strongest person I know. It's impossible for him to be scared. I don't think he's ever been before. What's different?