Chapter 41: Impact

Chapter 41

We finally switched cars. Even though we were driving for a short thirty minutes before we found a different one, it felt like ten years. My legs are so sore from having to squeeze myself behind the driver's seat. Brianna fit behind the passenger seat pretty okay, but I didn't fit at all. My back is killing me.

Robbie was all sprawled out in the middle of the back seat, trying not to get his blood everywhere. Layke and Cameron sat in the seats beside Robbie, with their legs up so they wouldn't crush me and Brianna. I would have asked to sit on Cameron's lap, but I know he would say no because he hates me right now.

We found a bigger car in the parking lot of a restaurant. And by bigger car, I mean a minivan. It had an infected woman and a girl inside, which Naomi proudly killed with a pair of tweezers. She insisted on no one else touching them because she wanted to "show us her skills". I thought it was kind of weird, but I let her do her own thing.

We hurried and got everything and everyone in the van before any infected got too close. Again, Naomi wanted to drive, and Scooter wanted to sit next to her. I don't know why, maybe because he likes her, or maybe he's just suspicious of her. I'd like to think the latter.

Brianna and I sat in the two seats in the middle of the van, and the rest of the group sat in the very back. We had a lot of room in the truck for our stuff, so it wasn't as crowded as I thought it was going to be.

We've been driving for about two hours now. I have no clue why Naomi would know a place so far away to take us too. And honestly, I think this is pretty sketchy. We don't know anything about her, at all. She could be a maniac that's taking us to a place where she could kill us or something. Maybe she's with the military and knows Brianna's special. I wouldn't doubt it.

I don't trust her at all. She tried to eat Wilbur. I won't trust anyone who puts a hand on an animal, let alone eat one. Well eat a cat, you don't eat cats. But I know where she's coming from. She was hungry and didn't know where else to find food. I'm just mad she fought with me about it. Like what a bitch.

She's also really nasty and rude. Like I know we're not here to makes friends but come on. Be nice. It's a common citrusy. I swear, if she keeps acting like this I'll be the first one to deck her in the face.... well I'd like to think I would do that. I don't really like confrontation.

Robbie isn't getting any better. He's starting to moan in pain every couple of seconds. I feel so bad for him. I wouldn't want anyone to ever go through something like that, even if they hurt me. I don't know why he's not getting better. If he's bleeding internally then he'll need surgery, and I'm almost positive that's not going to happen. If it's just an infection, then he needs antibiotics. Hopefully, that's what's wrong, and I hope we help him before the infection spreads to the rest of his body.

It's crossed my mind that he could be infected, like by the virus that turns you into a mindless cannibal. I know everyone else is thinking it, but no one said anything. It makes sense. If he got scratched by a mutated creature. He would have to become infected. I don't know, I've never seen anyone get bit and waiting until they turned. It's always been a quick thing for me. My mother died so quickly from her injuries that we couldn't see how long it took. Daniel sacrificed himself, and we left right after so we couldn't see how fast he turned. My father was shot, and he wasn't bitten so he wouldn't have turned. I don't think.

I'm just scared that he'll turn when we're all sleeping and bite one of us. That would be horrible.

We're in the middle of nowhere. We keep passing acres and acres of corn. I'm surprised they're still growing since no one's been here to take care of them. It shouldn't be long until it gets cold out and they all die. Maybe we should stop and take some, we could eat as much as we want.