Chapter 4: Mom

Chapter 4

I pull into the parking lot of the huge building. There are ambulances and police cars everywhere, just like the school. I jump out of the car, leaving it on. I scan the parking lot for my mother. I get to the front doors of the bank and there she is.

"Mom!" I scream. She turns around and she sees me. Her face lights up like a lightbulb.

"Summer!" She runs towards me. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" She asks while still holding me tight.

"No, I'm fine," I say while getting the air squeezed out of me. She lets go and looks me over. She wipes the dirt off my cheek and some of the resurfaced blood from my lip. Then she looks over my arms and legs.

"Did you get bit?" She says kinda scared.

"No, I didn't."

"Good, I've seen what those monsters can do. My coworker was one. She was sitting right next to me when she turned."

"The kid sitting in front of me turned into one, he grabbed me and almost bit me, but I got away," I say sparing any more details.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I wasn't there! I'm your mother and I'm supposed to protect you." She says while giving me another tight hug.

"Mom it's okay, there was someone to help me."

"Who?" She says confused. Right before I could answer, the police officer walks up to us.

"Excuse me, but if you have children at the middle school or elementary school, you better go get them."

"Mom, Brianna!" I say remembering that she was still in school.

"Well let's go get her before she gets hurt." My mother shouts and runs toward the car.

She jumps into the driver's side of the car and I'm forced to sit into the passenger seat. She pulls out of the parking lot and speeds down the road.

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"Is the world ending?" I ask, scared of the answer.

"I don't know, but for now everyone needs to go to their house and stay away from everyone."

"But I heard a police officer say they might evacuate the city."

"Well if they do then we'll go. There's nothing else we can do."

I feel my phone vibrate. I pull it out of my pocket. I got a message from Cameron.

"Where did you run off too? Are you with that stuck-up guy?" The message says. 

What the heck. Why was he being like this? First walking away, now calling him stuck up? What's his problem?

"What's your problem? He's a nice guy, he saved my life." I send it back to him. Almost instantly I feel my phone vibrate again. I pick it up from my lap and look at the message.

"I don't trust him. He's too nice. Don't hang out with him."

"Cam, he's the last thing on my mind. I have to find my sister. When you want to explain yourself then come and talk to me in person." I text back. He's getting on my nerves. Good thing he doesn't text back. I really don't want to think about him right now. I have to focus on my sister. I turn my head and look out the window and watch the trees go by.

We finally pull into the middle school and just like the high school and the bank, the parking lot was littered with police cars and ambulances. But this was different. The school's on fire. The building is engulfed in flames and smoke. There are fire trucks parked outside the school, spraying water through the windows. Some of the kids are covered in smoke and ash. I've never seen such a thing like this before.