Chapter 35: Unearth

Chapter 35

They look more horrifying up close. The taller one looks even more alien-like. Its head is abnormally long, it's eyes as small as buttons. They are still yellow though. It scrunches over, because it's too tall to stand up straight, it would hit the ceiling. It's claws are digging into the floor to help hold himself up.

The second one looks like a over-grown salamander. It's skin is dripping with green syrup-like goo. It's hands make small twitching movements that make me jump with every one.

My shaking hand grabs my gun, I quickly bring it up to eye level.

I have to kill them before they kill Robbie. Scooter and Layke can't loose another person from their family.

Robbie coughs a little, and I can see blood shoot out of his mouth. His face is covered in droplets of blood. His brow is flushed and I can see beads of sweat developing on it. His flannel is shredded in the front, the small frayed fabric is soaked with red.

"Don't worry Robbie, I got this." I act more confident than I am.

He slowly looks up at me. His eyes say, "Help me." And I can tell he's pleading for his life.

I hold my head up high, and take a deep breath. I squeeze the trigger multiple times.

Two shots enter the tallest ones abdomen. It's body moves back a little, but it doesn't do anything but let drops of blood slip down it's bumpy skin. It lets out a growl so deep, that you would think it's thunder.

I just made it mad.

The creatures step over Robbie and start to crawl on all fours towards me.

Panic sets it. My face goes white. I thought this would be easy, but I was wrong. I'm always wrong. I can feel my blood freeze in my veins, stopping myself from making any sudden movements.

I'm fucking dead.

My finger manages to squeeze the trigger again. I shoot at the smaller one hoping I will have a better shot at killing that one first. A bullet enters its eye, but it doesn't seem to faze him.

I mindlessly shoot a couple more times. Two bullets enter it's head, and it slumps over onto the ground. Black gunk falls out of the wounds, creating a small pool of it on the white floor.

Before I know it, the taller one jumps at me and pushes me over. It pins me to the ground, with the breath knocked out of me. I can feel my bones being pushed through the floor. My skin feels like it's melting into the tile under the weight of the creature's body.

I squirm and yank my arms and legs to try and get away. But the creature holds me down with tons of pressure. My chest feels like it's caving in, I wouldn't be surprised if my heart is left as a mushy mass of muscle.

The creature inches its head closer to mine. It's eyes stare at me with intense disturbance. I can see every brown dot crowding the glowing yellow irises, even though it's eyes are extremely small. It opens its mouth a little, and I can smell the stench of rotting organs creeping up its esophagus.

I realize I dropped my gun when the creature pushed me over.

This is it. There's nothing else I can do.

I squeeze my eyes shut to save myself from seeing my body being eaten alive. I'd rather just feel the pain, then see it happen. Plus, I couldn't handle seeing blood pouring out of me like that. That's not the last thing I want to see before I die.