Chapter 50: Alteration

Chapter 50

My heart jumps up into my throat. I'm frozen, and staring at Naomi's back. She's standing about ten feet in front of me. Her long black hair is tangled, and falls just above her hips. A bag sits in the dirt next to her feet, and her body moves back and fourth ever so slightly. The small amount of moonlight that's cascading onto her hair causes it to have a blue hue. The dark tank top and jeans she's wearing almost blends her into the surroundings. The moon is the only thing letting me see her. Which is a good thing. I have the upper hand.

"Naomi?" I call out.

Startled, she turns around. Even with the blue hue on her skin I can tell that her face is flustered.

That's not the thing that catches my eye though. Her hand is tangled in someone's hair. Hiding behind her is a guy. He's very pale, and dressed in a green jacket with a bunch of zippers. I can tell because the metal catches the moonlight just right to make them shine a little. I'm assuming he's the same guy I saw her meeting with by the tree.

One of his hands is still wrapped tightly around Naomi's hip. The other lightly caressing the side of her face. But he's not shocked from my intrusion at all, he has big fat grin on his face.

"Are you following me!" Naomi yells and steps away from him.

My face turns red instantly. I can feel the warmth of the blood rushing to my cheeks. I'm more embarrassed about walking up on them than Naomi yelling at me.

"Uh... no." I gulp.

"What are you doing here then!" She yells and breaks all physical contact with the guy, leaving him standing alone and disappointed. She stomps her way across the small space of dirt in-between us.

She's out of breath, and her lips have a cherry tint to them, like they're almost rubbed raw. Her hair is frizzy, some of the black strands falling onto her face. Her hair doesn't hide the fact that her face is as red as mine. The look in her eyes is anger, mixed with a bit of embarrassment.

I mean, I would too if someone caught me making out with a guy. I had no idea Naomi was seeing someone. Who is this dude?

"I... just heard something and thought I should take a look just in case. It could of been an infected and the last thing I want is for someone to get bit and then the whole village would get-"

"Just shut up." She brings her hands up to my shoulders and pushes them with enough force to send me falling onto my butt.

My tailbone stings, the shock sending tingling down my legs. The force of my fall causes the air to leave my lungs for a quick second. The surprise of the unexpected push jumbles my brain, causing me to question if my choice to confront Naomi was a good idea.

"Naomi!" The guy forcefully whispers and walks up next to her. "Don't hurt her." His voice is wavy and hesitant. He's probably afraid of being heard, since it's after curfew.

"Why not? She was spying on us Darren!" Naomi seems to not care about how loud she is, or if anyone else is worried about being found hiding out here.

Darren. Finally I have a name for this guy.

"Shhh!" He puts his finger against her mouth, but it's just moved away a second later.

"Don't shush me! Do you have any idea what will happen if she doesn't keep her mouth shut?" She points her finger in his face.

"Yes but-"

"No I don't think you understand! We have to keep her quiet! My father would freak if he knew we were still together."

"I know but-"