ᴍᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴅᴇᴀʀᴇsᴛ

"ɪ ғᴇᴇʟ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ʀᴜɴɴɪɴ' ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ ɪ'ᴍ ᴏɴᴇ sᴛᴇᴘ ᴄʟᴏsᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇɪɴɢ ᴛᴡᴏ sᴛᴇᴘs ғᴀʀ ғʀᴏᴍ ʏᴏᴜ" 

~ᴏɴᴇ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ 'ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛʏ'

Jacob smirked watching his girlfriend pace around the cafe, he couldn't help it she just looked adorable. He admired the way her nose crinkled when she was stressed and it wasn't until he noticed the frown lines and decided to stop her. 

"Lyds," Jake said but I just continued cleaning the same counter I've been cleaning for a while. "Lydia!" He said snapping me out of my thoughts and startling a few customers. 

"Are you feeling alright?" He asked. The truth was, I wasn't feeling okay at all. I was hearings whispers and it was one name, and one name only. 

Carlisle. 

"Yeah I've just got a lot on my mind and my mother-" I went to say as Seth came running through the door, again startling my customers. 

"Lydia, you're mom is the coolest! She brought like five people. These two weird Scottish guys and some chicks from Africa. Plus she let me shoot a gun." He said excitedly as my eyes widened. 

"She let you what?"I asked and his eyes widened. "Uh, she brought chicks from Africa." He tried to say but I shook my head. 

"I am going to kill her." I raged going to leave as Jacob caught hold of my waste. "He's a teenage shapeshifter, he can handle a gun." He whispered in my ear causing me to take a calming breath. 

"She's evil, Seth. Don't talk to her." I said and he frowned. "Okay. She did talk a bit evily and she was telling people you should've married Edward before he met Bella." Seth said and Jacob looked pissed. 

"Alright, that's it!" He said and went to leave but I pulled him back. "Actually she asked me to bring you both to the Cullen's tonight," Seth said and Jacob scoffed. 

"It's okay. I wanna talk to Carlisle anyway. He knows more about the Volturi than we do, but when you see Edward you have to keep your thoughts free of anything that suggests the Volturi coming for me, he can't know." I said and Seth's head turned to its side like a confused puppy, which I found adorable. 

"Why isn't it kind of obvious?" Seth asked and he had a point. It was clear as day but Edward was a father now, and his only thoughts are of his daughter. 

"Not to him, kid," Jacob said clapping a hand on his shoulder.

"Why does my mother want to see us?" I asked and Jacob shrugged. "No idea but if she makes one dog joke, I'm not holding back." He said and I laughed. 

"Hey, Jake," I said and he turned to look as I held my hands in a dog motion. "Woof," I said and he rolled his eyes. 

•••

Walking into the Cullen home was like walking into a vampire clubhouse, the red eyes were everywhere. Everyone kept a distance from Jake and me but when I'd make eye contact they'd all give a respectful nod. I always forgot that to them I was some amazing creature. "They weren't this friendly to me," Jake whispered and I couldn't help but laugh. 

"Good thing your girlfriend is a hotshot," I said and he rolled his eyes. "There are too many ears here, I need to talk to Carlisle," I said and Jacob nodded. "I'll go find Ness." He said kissing my cheek before leaving me at the stairs. 

I walked up to the top floor which is where Carlisle's office was. I found him sitting at his desk looking at an old book. 

"Lydia, how are you feeling?" He asked the one question on everyone's mind. She could predict what would happen.