ᴘᴀɪɴғᴜʟ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇs

"ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ sʟᴇᴇᴘʟᴇss ɴɪɢʜᴛ, ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ." 

~ᴅᴀᴠɪᴅ ɢᴜᴇᴛᴛᴀ 'ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ'

"It's been months and now you decide to return my call, I could've died Rose!" I shouted into the phone as soon as she picked it up.

"Alice would've seen it." Rose said plainly.

"Alice would have seen it my ass, put Emmett on." I said and she sighed before reluctantly handing the phone to her mate.

"Hey shortcake." Emmett said with a big smile, saying he missed her was an understatement. He had begged Rose everyday to answer or return her calls, today she had finally cracked.

"Why aren't you guys home yet?" I asked and the man looked to his mate with wide eyes. He had never heard her sound so small, so vulnerable.

"Uh, Rose and I have actually been talking about it. How about you come to Canada for spring break and before you say you hate our cousin's, Rose and I got our own house." Emmett said reading exactly what was on my mind.

"Your own house...that sounds kind of permanent." I said and both he and Rose took a sigh.

"Well if you hear from Edward tell him Bella's a mess. She has screaming night terrors and she insists on sitting everyday at your lunch table. I sat with her the first few days but it was just one big reminder that I was here and you weren't so I stopped." I said and Emmett looked over to Rose who just looked to the floor with pain in her eyes. 

"That bad huh?" Emmett asked and I gulped, I didn't call to make them feel this guilty. 

"No not at all. Weekends are usually reserved for the Rez. I crash at Sam's whenever I can, it's just easier you know..not being alone." I said and the man nodded even knowing she couldn't see him.

"Sounds good Lydia, have you been...you know.." Emmett said attempting to imply, was I hearing things..was I taking my herbs. The truth was no, I kept forgetting. They left in September..the voices came back in October. But thanks to Paul, he's been there for me a lot since they left..he got me back on track.

"No, I haven't even missed a day." I lied perfectly.

"Good, we're really proud of you. Listen I know you have to get to school but Rose wants to say goodbye." Emmett said cautiously handing her the phone.

"Lydia." Rose said lightly.

"Yeah Rose?" I asked matching her tone. 

"Alice saw something she wanted me to tell you." She said and I gulped slightly.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Josh will be returning to Forks soon." Rose said quite bitterly. She only wished it to be her returning to Lydia.

"How would she-" I went to ask but Rose quickly answered.

"Because you were the reason he decided to leave." Rose said before hanging up not being able to continue this conversation. 

I used the number that Josh's dad gave to me three months ago on the night Bella went missing. We'd talk occasionally but not once has he mentioned coming back and why would I be the reason.

Charlie Swan would usually pick me up early every morning because it would always take both of us to get Bella to school on time This morning we had a pretty unusual talk in the car.

"I think I'm gonna send her to live with her mom in Arizona." Charlie said breaking the normal silence in the car. 

"Why would you do that? She has her life here, she has you and her friends." I asked and he just took a long sigh.

"She isn't getting any better, if anything her nightmares are getting worse." Charlie said and he had a point but as much as I hated Edward right now I'd still do anything for him and that meant protecting Bella and that was pretty much impossible to do if she went to Arizona.

"What if I get her out of the house, we'll go to the movies and if she refuses I'll call her friend Justin if I have to." I said and Charlie squinted a bit.

"You mean Jacob?" Charlie asked and I nodded as we pulled in front of the house to surprisingly see Bella waiting by her truck. 

I smiled at Charlie until he walked inside the house. I turned to Bella with a crazy look in my eye that she knew oh to well.

"You need to snap the hell out of it Bella before Charlie ships your ass back to Arizona. I talked him out of it this time but you are coming to the movies and you're going to sit through whatever chick flick I want got it?" I snapped at her causing her to not even comprehend the whole thing but she knew her best bet was to agree and so that's what she did.

"Okay." Bella said simply. 

"Good. Now let's get to school." I said and just like that Bella got into the truck and began driving us towards school.

Flashback

A noice coming from my closed window caused me to wake up, getting up I pushed back the curtains. Paul standing shirtless with a heartbroken expression stood looking up at me. 

I opened the window and took a step back leaving him room to jump inside, which he did.

"What happened Paul?" I asked seeing his slightly tear stained cheeks. 

"My dad and I got into a fight..I just had to get out of there. I didn't want to hurt him, and I can't control my temper." I said and him just talking about it seemed to spark his temper. 

"Paul."I said quietly putting my hands on both of his cheeks forcing him to look at me.

"You can control it okay? Say it with me." I said still holding his face while he took a deep breath. 

"The sun." I said nodding for him to continue.

"The moon." Paul continued as he put his hands over mine while they rested on his face.

"The truth." We said together, and just like that he had controlled it. We were inches and unknown to her she was an anchor to him. She was the reason he could control her anger. 

He filled the space in between them and kissed her. This wasn't a kiss between star-cross lovers or soulmates, it was a kiss between best friend's who loved each other.

But this wasn't what the universe had planned for them. 

Voices all at once screamed on full blast in Lydia's ears. Pushing away from him she screamed as her hands covered her ears. 

"Make it stop! Make it stop!" I screamed at the top of my lungs as Paul dropped to my side with panic. He had no idea what was going on. He knew she was different but he didn't know why.

"Sam! Sam!!" I yelled and Paul quickly picked him up and jumped out of the window. Phasing I attempted to hold on throughout the pain of the voices but in a blink of an eye we were at Sam's. 

Paul running into Sam's carrying me, I was out of breath, so much that the pain of hearing the voices left me unable to scream anymore. 

"I don't know what happened. She started screaming and then-" Paul went to say still clutching me in his arms but it was enough information for Sam to make a sprint towards his guest room coming back shaking a water bottle before forcing it into my mouth. 

In that moment I knew, no matter what were to ever happen I'd be okay..because I have them.