s e v e n t e e n

[dedicated to teresamarquezMARIA]

By the look on Ender's face, it would have seemed like Saint just asked him to explain a problem straight out of a calculus textbook. He looked confused for such a simple question.

"It was fine." That was the answer Ender seemed to settle on.

"But?" Saint asked, knowing there had to be more that Ender wasn't saying.

"Well, my parents basically made it clear they want me married by the end of the week or something."

"I didn't know your parents took an interest in your love life like that."

"Neither did I," Ender huffed, stabbing his pasta with a fork. He looked like a grumpy child, who was just told no ice cream until after dinner. "Like we had this mutual understanding between each other where I fucked whoever I want, and they minded their own business."

"It could always be worse than parents trying to set you up," Saint said, trying to help Ender see both perspectives. "My mom is always asking about girls. They deserve some points for being accepting."

"I guess, and I am grateful, but c'mon how are they not going to accept their queer son!" Ender exclaimed. Saint burst out laughing, and Ender cracked a smile too.

They were definitely the loudest party in this fancy restaurant despite it being the two of them. Saint almost regretted not taking Ender out to McDonald's because in a way that felt like their place. But he didn't regret taking Ender here, even though the food was not worth the chunk of his paycheck. Seeing Ender in slacks and a turtle neck was the highlight of his day. The man could easily and effortlessly pull off high fashion. Saint did not feel comfortable in his fancy clothes. His pants were thrifted, which was a miracle because he rarely could find pants long enough to fit him. However, he got those pants his junior year of high school and grew an inch or two so they didn't fit him as well as he would have liked.

"So, basically, I just need to not try setting you up with anyone, and this will be a better birthday even than yesterday?" Saint asked. Ender laughs.

"Trust me, it already is. Much better company," he winked. Saint felt the blood rush to his face, and he thanked God for his dark skin. "Think of some of the worst people in high school. Now, all those people are at your  birthday party."

Saint shrugged. "I got along with most people in high school."

"Of course you did," Ender sighed, rolling his eyes. "Well, anyway, I wasn't exactly besties with everyone in high school, like you, but suddenly everyone wants to act like we were two peas in a pod in high school, and—"

"And you can't stand fake people," Saint finished for him.

"Exactly."

"Well, I promise we'll make this a much better birthday: Ender's 21st birthday 2.0."

"It's fine, birthdays are overrated, anyway," Ender said looking down at his food, but Saint noticed the smile Ender tried to hide.

"No, they aren't! Birthdays allow us to celebrate people," Saint replied.

"You want to celebrate me?" Ender asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, Ender Lockwood-King. I want to celebrate your 21 years on this planet." Saint swore Ender blushed. He felt Ender's foot touch his underneath the table. "So, what do you want to do?" Ender thought about it for a minute.

"We can do anything I want to do?" Ender asked mischievously. Saint was regretting his statement. Ender laughed at Saint's face. "Relax, I won't make you tattoo a picture of me on your ass— at least not right now."