s i x t e e n

[dedicated to Talyawrites]

"You both are so extra," Ender said to his parents. He was downstairs in his kitchen looking at the elaborate decoration and table set his parents had put out.

"Happy Birthday, baby!" Xavier stopped making pancakes to give Ender a big kiss on his cheek. Darius gave him a hug and kissed the top of his head.

"Gross," Ender said, wiping his cheek.

"Well, you're officially 21!" Darius exclaimed. "How does it feel?"

"No different from when I got my first fake ID," Ender joked. Darius smacked his lips and hit him upside his head.

"Knock it off," he said. Xavier just rolled his eyes.

"It will feel different. You're going to become alpha today. That's a big deal." Ender knew that. "But we don't want you to feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders." Ender took a seat at the table. He didn't know how to feel about today. It was probably the most stressful birthday he would ever have.

"I don't want to be a shitty alpha," he admitted to his parents. Xavier hugged him from behind.

"You won't be. You have us," he said. Darius sat next to him and put his hand in his.

"We're always going to be here, E. Neither of us had alphas to ease us into this transition, but we're here for you," Darius smiled. His parents words helped comfort his nerves, but he still felt nervous about today. "You're gonna be a great alpha," Darius said.

"That's easy for you both to say. My biological father was a terrible leader," Ender replied.

"That doesn't matter, E. I had to learn the hard way that we aren't our parents. My dad was a terrible person, but now Darius and I run a successful, loving pack. I know you like to put on a front, but you're a good person. As long as you always try to do the right thing, you'll be fine, and if you ever need help we're right here for you." Ender wasn't completely convinced, but he knew he could always rely on his dads.

"Okay. I love you both," Ender looked down, feeling weird for admitting that out loud.

"We love you too, E baby," Xavier said. Ender glared at him for the nickname.

"I feel like it's unfair I have to take over a pack at 21 years old when you two are perfectly healthy. Are you sure you both don't want to keep the title a little longer?"

"No way. We already are planning our getaway trip."

"Oh? Can we go to Cabo?" Xavier asked, wrapping his arms around Darius, who turned his head up to kiss Xavier on the lips.

"If that's what you want, my king." Ender felt sick with how in love his parents still were to this day.

"Gross, I'm literally right here." Ender made a fake vomit sound.

Thankfully, Xavier separated from Darius. "Let's eat fast. We need to make sure everything's ready for your party." Ender was already dreading the party.

"And best behavior tonight, Ender," his dad warned him.

"Oh my goddess! I know how to socialize!" His dad stared him down. "Okay, best behavior, I promise." His parents weren't even confident Ender would behave at his own birthday party, but they wanted him to run a pack? Ender didn't know if he ever would be ready for this job.

+++

Saint was pre-gaming at his friend's apartment, chilling on the sofa scrolling through instagram. He saw on Sophia's story that it was Ender's birthday. Why didn't Ender tell him? Saint wanted to kick himself for never asking Ender when his birthday was. He debated texting Ender. He literally was with Ender on his birthday, and he didn't tell him. Maybe, he didn't want Saint to know? Ender had also referred to them as just fuck buddies and not friends. Saint concluded that he would text almost anyone he knew happy birthday if he was aware it was their birthday. Therefore, he should wish Ender. It was the normal thing to do... right?