Chapter 23

As Ahren had said, he has been very busy these past few days. I have hardly seen him. But not that I would notice, because I have spent each day visiting Kaius. It has been amazing; not feeling any pressure or confusion. We have just talked. I have been trying to learn things to help my memory return. I can tell Kaius wants that too. The way his face lights up when he sees me, makes me feel bright inside.

"So is there anything you didn't tell Ahren? Anything you didn't want him knowing about me?" I ask, lying on my back next to him with my legs on the wall.

"Not that I can think of. I mean, sure there will be little details he didn't have to know. Like how you try and cheat at every game we play together. And you are reeaally loud when you get excited about something. Also you sit in weird positions." He gestures to my current stance.

I giggle at him, "Haha, I guess he doesn't have to know those things. But little things do matter to me. It feels nice that you remember them."

I sit up and take his bound wrist in my hands, "These are such tight, old fashioned cuffs. Why did he have to do that- you're going to bruise." 

"Well, he doesn't like me very much so I didn't think he was going to give me a lavish suite or anything." He scoffs.

"Yeah, but I wish I could find the keys for them. But I don't even know where to look."

"Well don't. It's too risky. Just wait." 

"But what are we waiting for-"

I am interrupted by a bang coming from upstairs.

"Oh no, he's here. Hide! Right now!" Kaius says urgently.

I rush over to the empty wine bottle stands piled in the corner. I quickly move one and slide myself in between two, hoping no part of me is visible. 

I hear him come to the bottom of the stairs. My heart is racing so fast I think its going to burst out of my chest. 

I can only see through a small crack in the wood of the bottle stand. 

Ahren struts over and towers over poor Kaius chained to the ground.

"You look in a good mood." Ahren sneers at him. 

"Can't say the same about you." Kaius returns it.

"Let's cut the small talk shall we. I need to know something. What did Lilly tell Avy about me?" 

Kaius laughs slightly. "Do you think I am going to answer everything you ask?" He mumbles.

Ahren doesn't even flinch, "Do I need to remind you of what happened the last time you denied me the information I wanted."

Kaius suddenly becomes serious, "Why? Why would you need to know about what Lilly said now? You could have asked her yourself."

"That is none of your concern."

"I think it is."

"You need to stop talking back to me."

"Are you gonna make me?"

The tension is putting me on edge. He is really being risky. He isn't exactly in a place to challenge Ahren. 

Without warning, Kaius gets a foot to the stomach. 

He leans over, clutching it and groaning. 

He looks in my direction. I shake my head encouraging him not to irk Ahren on.

Ahren squats by his side. "Well?" He presses.

Kaius slightly groans a bit more from the pain. Then leans on his weight on his elbow and exhales.

"Lilly didn't know Avy was the one you were hiding me from. She really just found me and felt sorry for me. Ironically she said I reminded her of you. I can't see why she'd want to help me then if that was the case. "

"What a shame. Maybe we are alike in a way. But I'm not afraid to go after what I want." Ahren then gets up and walks away back to the stairs. I could have sworn he just looked at me but I don't think he sees me. 

Once I am sure Ahren is gone, I creep out of my hiding place. 

I look down at Kaius curled up in a ball.

I put my hands on my hips, "You're an idiot."

He is still groaning but he laughs.

I kneel down beside him, "No wonder you are so beat up. You know how aggressive he is so why do you irritate him?" I move his arm from his stomach and lift his shirt to check for bruising.

"I can't let him believe he has power over me. And I don't care what he does to me, as long as he doesn't hurt you." 

I ignore the heroic remark, "It doesn't look like any ribs are broken. you were just winded by the impact."

"Look at you being my personal nurse." He teases. 

I smile back, but it makes me think of what they were talking about while I was hiding.

"Kaius, what did you mean about Lilly? That she said you reminded her of Ahren. She only said to me that you reminded her of her..." The penny drops, "Her brother?"

Kaius nods.

"No, she can't be his sister. What does that mean?"

"Not much different from what you already know. She knew Ahren was up to something but didn't know it was all about you, that's why she reacted the way she did when she found out who you were. Ahren used to be at the hospital a lot because of his condition, and she started working there a few weeks back. Then she found me and felt sorry for me. That's all I know." 

I don't know if I'll ever get used to the shock of finding out the truth. But slowly, as I discover more, it's all fitting together like a puzzle.

"That's why when she met him in the emergency room, she blanked him."

"Some things are even hard for me to get my head around. It seems like its all connected in some way." 

"We'll find out soon. I'm sure of it. But I had better go, Ahren might be looking for me now that he's home." 

"Of course. It's a shame we didn't get as long together today. But I'll see you tomorrow." 

"Definitely." i smile.

Pretty much as soon as I shut the wall passage door, I see Ahren come round the corner in search of something. Apparently me, since he jogs towards me once he sees me.

"Hey, Avy there you are. I have someone I want you to meet. Come with me." He puts his hand on my back and we start to walk together.

"Oh yeah? Who?" I ask.

"Well, since you are still recovering-and I'd like to make sure you are okay health wise- I have brought a doctor to see you. He's really good, and he specializes in head trauma." He smiles.

I am unsure, but I nod along anyway.

We reach the entrance hall. But the person I see waiting to greet us makes me freeze on the spot.