Chapter 18

My fake mother is giving me a tour of the house. Occasionally throwing in a memory that we apparently shared in each room.

"Your Father will be home from work soon, he will be thrilled to see you! I kept it a surprise that you were returning."

It seems like we are rich, why would he have to work?

"I look forward to seeing him." I wonder who they have got to play that part. Whoever 'they' is.

I hear quick footsteps behind me. But before I can turn around, two arms wrap around me.

"Guess who?" He whispers. Ahren.

I turn to face him and put on a faint smile.

"Hey."

"I'll leave you two alone for a bit." My fake mother says, already walking away.

Ahren sighs and takes my hands in his.

"It's been a long day, you should take it easy. Maybe tomorrow we could have a relaxing picnic on the roof." He gives a hopeful smile.

He is definitely acting different than he was earlier.

"Sure...only if you want to."

"Of course I want to! I love being with you." He pulls me close and hugs me; really tight.

"I wish I could say the same...but I don't know you." Little does he know I am being completely honest with him. But in a way that he will pick up differently.

"I know, you don't remember me. But that will change! You can be mine again."

He has always had a possessive way about him. Something I don't really like.

"Listen, I think I am just going to go to bed now. I'm really tired. Can you tell Mother I don't want anything to eat, and I'll meet Father in the morning."

He seems surprised, but doesn't question it. He simply kisses me on the forehead and walks me to my room.

"Sleep well. And if you need me, just come to my bedroom."

I nod slowly and yawn. He backs away but doesn't let go of my hand until I am no longer within arms reach.

In all honesty I'm not very tired. I just wanted to get away from everything. From all the lies. Its just me now. It used to be me and Ahren. Not anymore. He thinks he can treat me like dirt one minute, then cozy and lovey dovey with me the next. I hate it. But I should find out more before exposing them all.

Maybe I will sleep. In sleep I can dream. Dream about my real life somewhere.

My eyes flutter open as cool air blows on to me. My curtains have been opened and my window on the catch. It is rather refreshing to not be waking up in a hospital bed.

I turn over and there is a note on my bedside table. It reads:

'Rooftop in half an hour <3'

I almost allow the corner of my mouth twitch up in to a smile. This could be cute if I could really trust him.

I discover there is a whole wardrobe of clothes that fit me. So I put a pair of jeans and a blue t-shirt on. I decide to leave my hair down. I prefer that to it being tied back. It feels more free and relaxed; the feeling of it down my back.

I should probably go and meet 'my Father' this morning.

I haven't even left the room yet, when the door creeks open. A man is there. He's not much taller than me; he's wearing a business suit and has his hair gelled to the side. He starts crying when he sees me.

Well, this must be him. Time to put on a show.

"D-dad? Is that you? Are you my dad?" I stutter, forcing myself to tears.

"Yes, baby its me. I can't believe you're finally home!" He as an American accent.

He rushes to hug me. Holding me tight. I can feel his tears on my shoulder. He's a good actor. Then again so am I.

I feel like I'm not having to force a lot of the tears. It really hurts that this isn't my real dad. In fact, this feels somewhat familiar. As if I've dreamed of doing this with my dad forever. No...what if...I don't have a real dad...

I hug my fake dad tighter.

After a few minutes, he lets go. He just looks at me. Admiration in his eyes.

"Missed you." He taps my nose and grins.

"I...missed you too, Dad." And suddenly, with those words, I can see him. I can see my real dad.

It's like an old fantasy of mine has been brought back to mind.

My dad stands in front of me, clutching my hands tight. He's crying, and apologizing for not being there with me enough. He saying how he just wanted to make sure I was healthy and make the world a better place. My Father is a doctor.

I come back to reality and see my fake father standing before me.

"We will need to do something together. I need to be spending time with my precious girl."

"Yes, definitely. But I am meeting Ahren on the roof. I should probably go now." I kiss him on the cheek.

"Of course, you go enjoy each others company." He winks at me. I 'laugh'.

I find my way to the roof. Its just how you would expect a roof to look like but it has a barrier around it to stop people from...you know...plummeting to the ground.

Ahren is sat on a blanket, with a basket next to him. Which I assume is full of goods. I have to admit I am hungry.

We sit and eat for a bit. Occasionally laughing about something that Ahren brings up.

He seems so lighthearted when he's like this. So laid back.

I decide to do something crazy... I have nothing to lose anyway so I decide to take the chance and go for it.

"Ahren...I need to talk to you about...my parents..."