Chapter 14

Ahren waves a hand in front of my face.

"You drifted away for a second. What do you think? Should we investigate more about him?"

I am not totally with it but I have to admit I am  curious about Anthony.

"Okay. Let's do it. But he's my doctor so he would get suspicious if I ask questions."

"On the contrary, he would expect you to ask questions since you have amnesia." He sees that I look hesitant, so he takes my hands in his, "listen, if we catch him out on something, we could get out of this place and to a real hospital that will help you get your memory back. Then we can finally be together again."

I have to admit it sounds nice getting out of this confusing place. But I can't leave without Kaius, I wonder if Ahren even knows about Kaius. I think I should wait and find out more before I ask him though.

"Thank you for helping me, Ahren." I give him a kiss on the cheek.

 His shy smile suddenly returns and he shuffles closer to me. I can see him looking at my lips, then back to my eyes. 

He places a hand on my cheek and leans in. I decide not to resist, maybe this could tell me something.

He kisses me softly but sweetly. Just like I had imagined it would feel. But not exactly what I had hoped it would feel like.

He pulls away and is smiling like crazy. I, on the other hand feel the opposite. I am disappointed it didn't make me feel what I wanted- familiarity.

"Listen, Ahren, I have to go. I am getting hungry and Anthony will be looking for me to give me my daily dose of the medicine."

As I stand up he grabs my hand, "No, please don't go. I want you to stay with me." 

The desperate look in his eyes reminded me of a puppy begging his owner not to leave the house.

"Ahren, I'm sorry, I can't. You know Anthony doesn't like us being together, anyway."

I take his hand off of mine. But he just reattaches it and stands up. 

"No, please. Please." He slides a hand around my waist. 

I grab his arm, "Ahren, stop it. I am leaving." 

As i back away from him, I see a mixture of two things in his eyes; lust and possessiveness.

When he acts like this, it makes it difficult to believe what he says. And if he found out about Kaius, I don't know what he'd do.

I finish my late lunch in my room. Anthony has sat in wait for the last 10 minutes watching me eat. 

"Can I help you with something, Anthony?" I hope I didn't sound too sarcastic, I genuinely want to know why he is here staring at me while I eat.

"Am I not allowed to come and just look at my patients?" He grins.

I shiver on the inside, "Actually, I don't think you are." I say simply.

He laughs a little awkwardly, "It was just a joke. I am here to give you your medicine but I thought I'd make sure you are eating okay."

"Well, thank you for your concern. But I'm fine." I smile.

He chuckles, "I wish you were. Then we could all go home." It is an odd thing to say, but Anthony never ceases to say odd things. 

Anthony finally left after administering to me my medicine. I waited until I could hear the halls quieten down. Then, acting as nonchalant as I could, I left my room.

I sneak down the corridor to the basement. Its not too busy since this is most patient's dinner time. Which I'm glad of. If this is the only time I'm going to get to see him I need to make the most of it. 

I feel such a surge of excitement run through my body. Not just to get answers to my questions, but just to see Kaius. To get that feeling again. The warm feeling of home and security.

I bounce down the stairs one by one. I can see the washing room straight ahead. The lights are off- right enough it isn't running at this time of day.

I go to turn the corner into the dead end hall where the cage lies, but I walk into a wall. The shock leaves me taken aback. I blink hard a few times. I put out my hand and touch the wall.

Its real.

What's going on? Where is it? 

I jog up and down the hall way as if someone might have moved it. 

Where is it? Where is he?

I bite my lip and look back along to the stairs. 

Its a risky move, but I know I've already decided to do it.

"Kaius?" I say quietly.

No answer.

"Kaius?" I raise my voice this time.

I put my hands on my head and grab my hair.

"Why is it gone? Where...how..." I murmur to myself. 

Lilly! Where is she? She might know what's going on.

I run up the stairs. And completely forgetting where I am, I run through the halls.

I don't even know where she would be. I check the laundry room, but the light are off and its quiet. 

I continue looking but a nurse stops me.

She grabs a hold of me and tries to calm me down.

"It's okay honey, we'll get you a doctor, it's okay. You're safe." 

She obviously seems to think I am distressed. Maybe I look it. I'd understand that after what I just saw. 

"No no you don't understand-"

"No, I do, It's okay." She says kindly.

She starts to lead me along the corridor and she picks up a phone that's nailed to the wall.

"Can I please get Doctor Risenburgh Here."

Within minutes, Anthony comes jogging along the hall.

"What's going on?" 

At this point I don't really care if I can trust Anthony. What I saw has confused me and I need answers.

"Anthony, Where is Nurse Mitchell?"

"Who?" 

What do you mean 'who', you introduced me to her.

"Nurse Mitchell. I've been helping her with the laundry over the last two days."

"I don't know any Nurse Mitchell. Nurse Flynn does the laundry."

No. This can't be happening.

"No, that's not true! I have been with her! And there was a whole corridor down in the basement that is gone!" I am near yelling now. But I don't care. No one can tell me that these two days have been hallucinations.