Chapter 2

I am left in the room by myself. I am so confused; I don't know what to feel. This is the weirdest sensation I have ever experienced. Or is it?- I wouldn't remember anyway. My heads just...empty. That is the only word I can use, even that only just begins to describe it. I wonder if anyone else in this hospital has amnesia. 

I hear a grumble from my stomach, I certainly remember what that means- another thing that is empty in this body of mine.

As if on queue, a nurse rolls in a cart with a plate of food on it. A security man follows after her. After releasing my hands from the cuffs, She places the plate on my lap. It's warm. I stare at the mashed potatoes with gravy and sausages, and I suddenly feel as though if I don't eat now, it might be taken away from me and I will never get to eat again.

I pick up the fork and knife and begin wolfing it down. I hear the nurse chuckle.

"We thought you might be hungry."

I nod.

"After your meal, We have some checks to run on you, and we need to get a little blood test to see how you're doing. Okay?" She says sweetly.

I nod again. She exits the room, leaving me alone with the guard.

After a few minutes of eating, I stare at the serious man. He is looking straight ahead, jaw clenched. I can tell he is good at his job. And man is he ripped. I'm just a girl, why do they need a massive guy like him to...Oh right, I am a psychopath. I forgot. It's still very hard to get my head around, I don't like to believe it; but maybe that is who I truly am.

The guard sees I am finished my food. He talks to someone on a walkie talkie, in some kind of code. I assume he was telling the person i was finished my food because promptly, doctor Anthony appears at my room.

"Hello Thalia," He says with a smile, "please come this way." He gestures out the door, as the guard releases the cuffs from my feet.

I walk out into the hall way, it's still white like my room. But with a few paintings on the wall. 

As we walk, there are other rooms spaced out along the hall way. a door is open to my left, Doctor Anthony seems to get agitated as we near it.

He puts an arm out to stop me walking, "Close that door." He says to the guard.

The guard does as he says, then we continue walking. I look at what it says on the door he closed: 

  "Ahren- difficulty level 8, insanity patient"

I wonder what it means 'difficulty level 8'. Does my door say something like that?

We walk a little further to a small room, with lots of equipment and what looks like a test chair in the middle of the room. Dr Anthony gestures for me to sit in it, so I do. It's leather; looks like a dentists chair. Have I ever been to a dentist? I must have been at some point. 

"Just sit comfortably, I'll get things ready." The doctor says.

I nod. It is eerily quiet in here. I listen to the sound of Doctor Anthony preparing things. Then I hear a scream come from somewhere in the building. Anthony hears it too, and he looks at me. 

"Don't worry about that; you're safe."

Not very comforting words. That means he knows something bad has happened.

A lady comes in and hooks me up to some machine. A light blue liquid travels down a tube into my arm.

After a few minutes, the lady removes the tube from my arm then wipes the area with a cloth.

"Right, Thalia, I'm just going to get the nurse to take a little of your blood to check you're doing okay."

I slowly nod- unsure.

As the syringe nears my arm, something inside me takes over, and I grab the nurse's wrist before the needle has come into contact with skin. She tries to pull free but I have a strong grip.

In a state of panic, she calls over doctor Anthony.

He comes over and struggles a bit to get me off, but in the end he does.

Once the tension eases, there is silence. I also become calm once again.

"Now, what was that about?" Anthony sighed, and almost chuckled from the shock of my outburst.

"I-I don't know. I'm sorry. I just didn't want her to do that."

"To do what?"

"Take my blood." I stare at him in the eyes, I know he can tell that I am being serious. But I don't actually know myself why I don't want her to take my blood.

"Well don't worry, it won't hurt a lot. It will be over in a second." He smiles.

The nurse looks uncertain as she readies herself, once again, to stick me with that sinister needle.

I twitch slightly, and move away. Dr Anthony sighs again; clearly impatient.

"Thalia, if you are going to be difficult we might need to get the guard in here."

I ignore him and glare at the syringe in the nurse's hand.

"Thalia, look at me." He orders.

I do as he says. And in that very second I feel a sting in my arm. The nurse has done it. As I see the blood draw up into the syringe I become panicked again and I go to stop her, but Dr Anthony grabs my free hand as she finishes.

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He says. The nurse bandages up my arm.

I shake my head slowly, "No, it was fine, I don't know why I got so worked up. Thank you."

Anthony nods in reply, then goes over to a computer with the nurse.

They are whispering but I can hear them.

"What level?" The nurse asks.

Anthony glances at me, then contemplates his reply, "A level 3. For now."

Level 3? What does that mean?