Chapter 22

"Please don't ask me that. I don't know what is going to happen. But right now, I want to do what I feel is right."

"So what is that?"

"Looking after you and not accusing Ahren of anything until I understand everything."

Kaius looks sad. "If that's what you want."

"But don't worry, I do trust you. And I do believe that Ahren has got something to do with this. But I'm going to make him trust me first. Completely. So, then, I can see if he would tell me himself."

He nods, "You seem like you have it under control. Just be careful. He is smarter than you think."

"Maybe. But I know that a side of him has a soft spot for me. And I can use that."

We sit and talk things out comfortably for a while. He tells me a bit about himself and what he liked most about me. He tells me that our families met through my Father's business when we were 7. We spent all our time together when they met up for brunch. Then he moved away when he was 12, and returned when he was 14 after his father found a new job. He says it was a hard to be away from me, even though at the time some said we didn't know what love was, it was love to us. He says we always helped each other through tough times. He says I used to say he was the strongest person I'd ever met- to go through so much and yet still be positive and happy. But the only time he has really been hurting and found it hard to be positive, he says, was when I was taken. "I can't live without you." He says, "the uncertainty of being locked in that cage, not knowing what was happening to you, crushed me. But now, I found you." 

"You have been through so much." A level of guilt lingers inside of me.

"Maybe, but we can get through the rest of it together." I see hope as he gazes into my eyes. He still isn't sure if I believe who he is. 

"Can you...tell me about my parents?" It occurs to me that I know nothing about them.

"Gladly. Your Mother is Catherine, and your Father is Richard. He owns a medical research center in Cornwall. And you live in Cambridge with your Mother. You wish you could see your Father more. But he never stops working. Your Mother misses him too, but you know his work can save lives, so you have always supported him."

That makes sense. It explains why I felt so distant to a Father figure.

I quickly get excited about something I had remembered, "Ooh do I have a dog?"

He giggles, "You do. A young Golden retriever called Maggie. She is very cute; you love her." He smiles.

"I knew it." I whisper, smiling away to myself. He sees and pinches my cheek.

"You're cute too." 

"Stop." I cover my face, blushing like crazy.

"You should probably go now. You don't want to make him suspicious."

"Probably." I say simply.

I don't move. I occasionally glance at him out of the corner of my eye.

"So go!" He laughs and playfully gives me a shove.

"Oh you meant noooow! I get it." I smirk.

"This is you. This is the sense of humor that you have always had."  

I laugh and stand up. As I walk away to leave, I stop and turn around to say one last thing to him.

"Oh, by the way. Does this sound familiar; "A gorgeous rose among thorns"." I snicker.

He palms his forehead, "Oh man, he did not say that to you."

I nod.

"Ugh, I should have never told him about that! It was just something I used to say to cheer you up when people were ever mean to you. It made you feel good inside, but also laugh because it's cheesy."

"Yeah, it is." I smirk.

"Oh, shut up." He laughs and covers his face in embarrassment.

I sigh and hurry up the stairs. It was fun; comfortable being with him. I don't want to leave.

But I have made up my mind, I am not staying away. No matter how risky it is. How can I leave him alone?

On my way back to my bedroom I run into Ahren. I try to act natural the best I can.

"Hey." I smile at him, "What have you been up to today?" I decide to ask him that question before he asks me it.

"Been here and there. I had to give a statement at the police station. And I did some shopping for your mum too." He bites his lip and puts his arms around me, "What did you get up to?" 

There is something about his eyes whenever Ahren talks to me. Almost like he is interrogating me every time he asks a question. As if he expects me to act against him.

"Not much, I got to know the house a bit more. And the staff too, they are very nice." I smile innocently.

"They are. Listen, I have been meaning to talk to you about something. I will be busy for a few days because I want to work with the police to find out more about why Anthony took you."

He may think I will be disappointed while he's busy, but this is the best opportunity to be with Kaius. 

"Will you be okay without me being with you?" He asks.

He seems to consider me helpless.

"Yes, I'll be fine. I am interested in what you will find, too."