Chapter 33

Maggie sits on my lap as I watch the TV. 

I look over at Kaius standing beside the couch that I'm sitting on.

"Why don't you just sit down?" 

He looks at his hands sheepishly.

"I don't want to." 

"You clearly do. Just sit beside me." 

"No."

"Why NOT?" I laugh.

"Because I never just 'sit' beside you. We would usually cuddle. And I'm not getting that close and not being allowed to."

I grin, "We can if you want." 

I see a smile creep on to his face, then he turns away, "Nope. Nope, I'm not doing that."

I giggle at him. 

I have to admit, even though it's been almost a month now and I haven't got all of my memories back, I still find myself falling for him. But I guess it's not just the memories that made me love him, it's the way he is. 

My dad walks past the living room, glancing in at me as he does so.

He's been very solemn and distant since I came home. I think he feels like this was all his fault.

I decide to go and talk to him. 

I enter his office room quietly. He's staring at a chart on the wall, his back facing me.

I haven't thought of what I am going to say, but I don't think words are necessarily needed.

I sneak up and hug him from behind.

He tenses at first, then realizes it is me.

He hugs me back.

"Thank you." I whisper to him.

"For what, pet?" 

"For not giving up on me." 

He gives half a smile, "I'm glad you're thankful for something. You may not be as such when you get your memories back." 

"Why? Because you spent a lot of time at work?" 

He looks down in shame.

"That doesn't mean anything to me. You are here now. That's all that matters." 

I am hesitant to tell him I love him. Given the situation, he might think I am just saying it and don't really mean it. But I will be sure to tell him when I remember everything. If I remember anything...

  Ahren's first trial is coming up in a few days and Kaius wants to take my mind off of things. So he's taking me horse riding. 

"This is your horse, Willow." Kaius gestures to the white speckled horse trotting about in the stable.

"And this is mine, Spartacus." His horse is brown.

I laugh, "Spartacus?"

"Yes. Don't judge my horse's name." He narrows his eyes.

"You must have been here a lot to have a horse at my house."

He smiles to himself. "I was." 

  We get on our horses and ride through a nearby wood. 

Its so peaceful and beautiful. We see a few squirrels climbing trees and stop and listen to bird song. Nature at it's finest.

I am so busy looking out for more squirrels that I don't see the low tree branch I am about to ride into. It hits me in the head and knocks me flying off my horse.

I land on the ground with a thud. Thankfully just on leaves, but my head is in agony. 

A sharp, blinding pain runs through it and I put the heels of my hands on my squeezed shut eyelids. 

Kaius is ahead of me but I think I hear him stop. 

A ringing in my ears occurs for a solid ten seconds. Then suddenly...stops. It's quiet enough to hear my own heartbeat. And with that, I realize something. Something that fills my eyes with tears. 

Kaius appears over me with a worried look on his face. 

I probably look a mess. But I start laughing, laughing in disbelief and happiness.

"Avyanna, are you okay? What happened?"

"I know what happened." I smile, "I know everything that happened." I giggle.

Kaius looks puzzled. "Do you have a concussion? Are you hallucinating?"

"If this is a hallucination, you are the cutest boy I've ever seen in one- better than that old crazy doctor." I grin as I watch the penny drop.

"YOU REMEMBER?" He shouts.

"Easy, easy, I still have a bit of a headache. And I'm still lying on the ground, can you help me up?" I laugh.

He disregards my request and hugs me tight- joining me on the ground. 

"Kai', you are going to get all dirty. Get off." I sit up with him still hugging me.

He pulls away and looks at me, his eyes all red and puffy.

"Oh my word, are you crying?" I ruffle his hair, then hug him again.

"I just missed you so much."

We ride back to the house to tell my family the great news. As I was hoping, my father is the first person I see, passing the door with his cup of tea as I rush through the doors.

I stop in front of him and just smile. 

He raises an eyebrow, "What are you up to?" He asks suspiciously.

I throw myself on him. Embracing him with every memory we have ever shared playing in my mind.

"I love you." I whisper to him.

"Do you?" 

"Yes." I pull back and look him in the eyes, "ask me something." 

"Okay...what's my...middle name?"

"Andrew. Richard Andrew Buresq." I beam.

His jaw drops. Along with the tea out of his cup that he has loosely lost grip of. 

He picks me up and spins me around. 

"You remember everything! Kate, come here quick!"

My mother comes rushing from the kitchen wearing an apron covered in flour.

"Whats wrong?" 

"Avy has her memories back!" 

She gasps and bursts in to tears of joy. Joining us in our hug. 

We all cry. 

I am finally home...finally.