April 08 by Dina Fe Mapile, CPA

– Encounter Alumni. Calasiao, Pangasinan

SUFFICIENT GRACE

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:16 ESV

Grace simply means unmerited blessing. A kind of gift that we could never deserve to have no matter what we do, yet overflowingly given to us.

But Grace is oftenly neglected, if not abused. As humans, including us Christians, we are naturally competitive and prideful. We are inclined to work for achievement and success, to accummulate wealth and recognition, and to live life in the most comfortable way we know. Failure or weakness is almost out of our vocabulary. But both are as real as success and strength.

In the midst of Covid-19, may we learn to embrace the reality that we failed at some point, and that we are weak on our own, physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and even spiritually. As we reflect on 2 Corinthians 12:9, we are encouraged to embrace and show off our weaknesses so that the power of Christ in us will magnificently be revealed. It's only in our acceptance of our weakness and frailty that God's power can make us strong and bold. The same verse also tells that the grace of God is sufficient for us. May we believe that in its fullness. It is because of God's grace that we will be provided of all that we need, and at times, we do not see or we do not know that we need it.

In addition, Hebrews 4:16 encourages us to approach the Throne of Grace (God Himself is Grace) with confidence. When we are already in Christ, God doesn't want us to approach Him like a wimpering helpless puppy. Instead, He desires us to approach Him with bold assurance that we will be heard and forgiven like a child being comforted by his loving parents.

Remember, we are too weak to beat Covid-19 on our own. But God's all-sufficient grace will heal us, protect us, and sustain us in measures way beyond what we ask or deserve.