March 27 by Ptr. Arnold Pasion

What did this LOCKDOWN (quarantine) has done to you so far? Things will never be the same again. I hope and pray that when this thing is over, we all come out a changed person.

We live in a time with great technological advances. We live in a time where we believe religiously in the power of science, scientist, experts, doctors and yet we are finding ourselves without a solution, without a clue, we don't know what we are dealing with, we don't know how to respond; we don't know how to control it; we don't even know what it is...this enemy we can't see...

Yet it is very good for the human soul to be reminded that we have not mastered (or we are not the master of) the universe; we have not conquered nature; we are not in control; and with all the advancement we made, we are under the mercy of a loving God when calamities come.

A lot of people are asking today, "why would God allow such a virus? why would God allow this pandemic? Why did God allow it? With these questions, some people go on to their knees, yet some become even harder in their hearts. But one thing is for sure, nothing happens unless God allows it to happen. Everything happens for a divine reason. It may seem so bad; but only God can turn these events for the benefit of his people.

The world is shutting down. It has shut down from our non-essential human activities. We are without malls, endless job and work activities, no gyms and shopping, no restaurants, no sports and other worldly things...and yes, you cannot even drive your fancy car. Yes, all of a sudden, without saying a word: no theater, no partying, no traveling, no going anywhere; all our activities are now being cancelled. We have been freed and liberated from the web of endless and unimportant human activities. We are so caught up with these things and started to believe...that that's life is all about. Life is about going to school, to work, parties, entertainment, going shopping, buying here and buying that, indulge here and indulge there.

Now look at what this virus has brought upon us. It really is a good thing, just come to think of it; see it with the eye of your soul; dig deeper; internalize and let all sink in without prejudice. This virus has broken dangerous habits. This dreaded disease has brought a fantastic opportunity to break habits that has enslaved us; to start something that is more beneficial like eating together with our family, talking together, watching a movie in the comfort of your living room; lying together in one bed and talking about anything under the sun; doing household chores together, and etc. All of a sudden we now have the perfect opportunity to make a difference for the better.
We can now have the life we choose...
To rethink where we want to put our energy...
What are you living for...?
What makes us get up in the morning..."
Kanino ka bumabangon sa umaga...?

You are going to be a better person when this thing is over.
You will have a much loving family when this thing is over.
You will have a better perspective in life when this thing is over.
You will have a much deeper insight in life when this thing is over.
You will have a better understanding of life and its purpose when this thing is over.
The world is going to be a much better place when this thing is over.
And I hope you realize that HEAVEN is and will be the best place when this thing is over and put our hope to that place instead of the endless and meaningless pursuit of things that only last as long as you live and as long as this world last.

That happens when we allow ourselves to be freed from whatever enslavement we were before this virus came to us. We did not ask for this; we did not volunteer; it's done for us; and it is a good thing if we take advantage of it and see the opportunity to pursue a much meaningful life. Everything was disrupted by this virus; but everything is going to change for the better. And I consider this exciting! This is not a warning; this is not a punishment from an angry God; it's not a damnation for an unbelieving generation... this is just a dot in our history and it is going to pass away; and it is going to bring greater things. We are going to have a renewed and better world. Environment will be better. Finances will be neutralized. There will be political sobriety. A grander vision for the church. A renewed and better thinking for every individual...that is if you have been listening.

This is the time to think, like Paul says, not only of ourselves; but more of others. We must think more of what purpose God has for us. Life is not about financial success, political success, social status; it is not event having the best things this world can offer. It is about becoming a better person, a better friend, a better sibling, a better father, a better mother, the best son/daughter you can be...AND THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO THINK OF SUCH because we have to choose; we are lockdown; we don't have any place to go; BUT TO BE WITH OUR LOVE ONES—the people that really matter to us.

Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 3; Philippians 4:1-9