Chapter 22: Not all hope is lost

You know that moment when your world shatters?  Like when everything is slipping through your fingers and you are helpless to do anything.  You keep desperately trying to wake up even when you know down to your deepest fiber that this is all actually happening.  This is what happened when I saw Derek's still body at the bottom of the stairs.

"BELLA!" I screamed desperately as I leaped down the stairs, immediatly kneeling next to Derek.

"BELLA!" I cried once again and I hopelessly thrust my hands against his chest in a useless attempt at CPR.

"Derek please" I muttered under my breath "Please!"

"Bella" I yelped, starting to lose faith in the hope of her coming when I call, until.

"You know Stiles, I really don't have time for you to call me here every other minute" She stated in a bored tone and I turned on her in fury to see her picking at her nails. It wasn't until then that she finally seemed to notice the stressful situation at hand.  Her eyes widened slightly, but other than that she showed no emotion whatsoever.

"How do I save him?  You told me I could save him?  Tell me how to save him" I begged in anger and hurt.  Bella's eyes flashed between me and Derek before she finally frowned at me.

"Stiles, I'm sorry but it's too late.  We weren't fast enough" she informed me, but I quickly slammed her into the wall.

"Tell me how the hell to save him Bella.  You told me you could help me to have the power to save him, so how do I get the power!" I growled at her in rage.

"Stiles, you can't.  You won't, I know you won't" she sighed.

"Like hell I won't" I spat in her face "this is Derek's life we are talking about.  I'm willing to do just about anything to perserve that."

"You have to merge your power with Allison's power" she informed me.  I turned my head to look back at my shocked and startled twin sister, then back at Bella.

"How do I do it?" I demanded, and when she didn't answer I continued "how the hell do I do that?!"

"You're not going to like it Stiles" she let out exasperated.

"TELL ME!" I screamed, causing even her to flinch at the tone of my voice.

"YOU HAVE TO KILL HER!" Bella yelled back at me, finally fed up with my demands as she pushed me off of her "are you happy?  I'm giving you the answer to all your problems.  You want Derek back so badly, then go ahead and kill your dearest twin."  I felt my shoulders fall slightly as her words sunk in.

"Kill her?" I whispered "you want me to kill Allison?"  Bella raised her eyebrows at me before sighing.  She snatched a dagger from the sheath in her boot, tossing it to me.

"You seem to have enough anger to do so" she shrugged "so go ahead.  Who's more important to you?  Derek or Allison?"  My head sank as I eyed the dagger in my hands.  It was three inches with rubies embedded in the hilt.

I closed my eyes and dropped my head shaking my head.  I turned around, pursing my lips and shaking slightly.  I looked up at Allison with a deep sadness in my as I held the dagger out at her chest.

"I'm sorry" I whispered and her eyes widened in fear, and she seemed to be stuck in place with shock.

"Stiles don't do this" Scott begged, trying to reason with my logical side.  I didn't even bother looking at Scott because my mind was already made up.

"but I don't believe in trading one life for another" I stated frimly, dropping the dagger at my feet "I've already done enough of that because of you Bella."  Scott seemed to sigh in relief, but I ignored him as I slowly trudged back over to Derek's limp body.

"I'm sorry Derek" I choked out in tears, falling to my knees beside him "I failed.  I couldn't save you."  I heard Bella sigh in disappointment and somehow I knew that she left.  It wasn't long after that, that I heard Scott and Allison shuffling out of the room, giving me some privacy to be alone and grieve.

I trailed a finger from Derek's left temple, down to his soft pink lips.  I could still remember the few times that I had gotten that beautiful smile of his to grace these lips.  A tear fell from my cheek, onto his, but I quickly wiped it away.

I found his hand laying against the dark oak of the floor, and I grasped it in mine.  The feeling of warmth still in it tore at my heart.  I gave it a light squeeze before burrying my face into his chest.

"Why do bad things always happen to good people" I asked him, even though I knew he wasn't able to answer "I know we've lost some good people along the way in Beacon Hills, but I tricked myself into believing that you would never die."  I let out a hysterical laugh.

"You were immortal in my mind..... sourwolf" I smiled through my tears "your were my own personal superhero, in the story of my life, but sadly this is one of the few stories that doesn't get a happy ending."  I finally pulled my face from Derek's shirt, looking into his face.

"but I've been doing some research while working with Bella, behind the scenes" I sniffled "I never knew that one of the twins had to die, but I did know that if the twins became powerful enough, they could raise the dead, even if only for a minute.  It's dangerous.  It's unpredictable.  I don't know how exactly in works, and there are only stories, but I just figure.  If one of the twins has to die to lend the other their power, then why does it matter which twin dies?  Because maybe the twin can be brought back too?"  I quickly turned around, snatching the knife off of the ground, plunging it into my heart, screaming in pain.

My last thought was 'I hope this works.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, here is chapter 22.  I hope you guys all enjoyed and I'll try and update again as soon as I possibly can.  You guys are amazing for sticking with me and my stories for this long! ^_^