Chapter 21:Blue like a Soul

"Derek's inside" Bella muttered as we made it to the front door of Derek and I's house.  I cursed as I hung my head.

"Shit Bella, he's gonna kill me if he finds out everything that's been going on" I panick, nibbling at my thumb nail.

"Then lie" Bella shrugged as if it was the obvious reason "isn't what you've been doing this whole time?"

"Not necessarily, but I haven't really know you that long" I snapped "not to mention you still have to explain to me what the hell happened to me back there!  Who was that guy and why did he run... shoot... rush into me?  Explain this to me please!"

"Look Stiles, if I'm being completely honest..... I have no idea" she stated in a bored tone as she picked at her nails.

"No idea?!  Bella, what the hell?  I thought you said you knew what you were doing!" I basically screamed at her.       

"Well I thought I did until you had to go and complicate things" she snapped at me and I widened my eyes at her in disbelief

"I did something?  You've got to be kidding me!" I growled.

"Look Stiles, we don't really have time for this" she sighed "you're not so much a damsel in distress is about to come out here looking for you."  I whipped my head around to the door and saw no one.

"Bella, I-" I grumbled as I turned around be she was gone.  I sighed as my shoulders sank.

"Stiles, there you are.  Where the hell have you been?" Derek shouted worriedly.  I turned around just in time for him to wrap me up in a bear hug, or more like wolf hug I guess.  I smiled at the familar hum of his chest.

"I've just been out" I shrugged, but when Derek eyed me impatiently, I continued "researching."  The last work came out in a squeak and Derek sighed disappointedly.  I scratched the back of my head absent mindedly

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop Stiles" he frowned, stroking my cheek with his thumb "you're just going to drive yourself crazy."  I felt myself frown at this too.

"And I can't just stand around and let you die" I countered softly, grabbing his hand from my cheek and pressing his knuckles to my lips.  Derek bit his lip, not daring to meet my eyes.

"What happened to your forehead?" he asked suddenly worried, and also changing the subject along with it.  I felt myself tense slightly as he pulled his hand out of my grip and graze my forehead softly.  I winced as I felt him touch a scratch.  I must've gotten during the explosion.

"Uh, I, uh, hit my head on the bookshelve at the library earlier" I shrugged, hating to lie straight through my teeth "must've happened then."  My hand twitched as I raised it up to scratch the back of my head nervously.  Derek had a disbelieving look on his face, but let it go.

"Are you Okay?" he suddenly asked out of the blue and I was taken a little off guard by his question.  I pursed my lips as I folded my arms lightly.

"You mean apart from the fact that you're dying?" I stated a bit harshly and I saw Derek flinch slightly at my words.  I felt a bit bad, but I couldn't help but be upset at the events.

"Stiles-" he sighed.

"I'm fine Derek" I choked out "just dandy.  In fact, I think I'm going to go upstairs and take a quick nap.  I'm just a bit tired."  I pushed past him, but he quickly snatched my arm, turning me back around.  Before I knew it, he was dipping me slightly and pressing his lips to mine.

"I love you" he whispered softly and I couldn't help the smile that those words brought to my lips.

"I love you too" I stated, it was almost instinctual to say it back these days.  Then I pulled from Derek's grip and headed up stairs.