31

January 6, 1996

Lindsey was in the kitchen with four of his five children when the door to the garage opened and Stevie walks in first. 

"How did it go?" Lindsey questions.

Stevie moves out of the way and Stella holds up Stevie's car keys. "I PASSED!" 

"Dammit, now I have to go buy another car." He pouts. 

"I want an SUV like Mom." Stella explains. 

"Mom Stevie, or Mom Kristen. Because they both have SUVs, Stevie's is slightly safer though." Lindsey cocks an eyebrow.

"Stevie." She nods.

"Good. I can get behind that. So Steph..." Lindsey turns to her. 

"Yes?" She asks.

"There's a movie that's coming out called Twister. It comes out in May and right now they're working on the soundtrack for the film. I was approached by Jan de Bont, the director and he wants me to do a song for the album. I may or may not have been snooping at your space in the music room and I saw that you had a poem, called Twisted sitting out and I thought it would be a good poem to make into a song so would you like to go in and be on a song with me?" Lindsey asks.

"Sure. When's our deadline?" Stevie questions. 

"I have to have a demo in by the end of February and we'll go in and professionally record for the album in mid-march," Lindsey tells her. 

"I can get behind that." She nods slinging her purse onto the counter and taking off her black peacoat. 

"So does that mean you guys are going to be in the studio for the rest of the weekend?" William asks.

"No, we'll start working on Monday when everyone is back in school. This weekend we celebrate Stella getting her driver's license. " Lindsey tells them. 

"William Gregory...you're hiding something from us." Stevie points her motherly instincts creeping in. 

"Could I...could I invite someone to dinner?" He rubs the back of his neck. 

Stevie gasps and brings her hands up to her mouth. "My baby boy has a girlfriend." 

"Kind of...we've been talking for a while and we used to always meet up for coffee every morning before class," William blushes. 

"Of course you can bring her to dinner. But to make it less awkward why don't we go out to eat?" Lindsey asks.

"Yeah, I want to go to that place on the pier with that really good chicken sandwich." Stella smiles.

"Alright, we can go...William, give her a call and invite her." Lindsey nods. 

"I better like this girl." Stevie crosses her arms when he leaves the room. 

"Mom, you're not going to like any girl that William brings home." Stella looks at her.

"And while that may be right, I won't hate every girl either...there's a fine line. I'm thinking subs for lunch." She looks between her family 

"That's fine. Is that what those bags of french bread are for?" Lindsey questions. 

"Yes." She nods digging into the fridge and grabbing out what she needed. 

"She said that she'd love dinner. I'm going to pick her up around five-thirty. Meet you guys there at six." William walks back into the kitchen. 

"Good, I can't wait to meet her." Stevie grins placing some grapes in a colander and washing them off. 

***

Stevie was sitting at the table in the restaurant sipping on her ice tea. Lexa was sitting-standing on her lap and she was bouncing on her mother's thighs. Stevie, however, was spying the entrance to the restaurant and when William and a girl with brownie blonde hair walked in she started hitting Lindsey's bicep. 

"Would you relax?" Lindsey asks.

"No, I will not. My little boy has a girlfriend." She pouts. 

The whole family watch as the girl spies Stevie and all of a sudden her eyes widen and she turns to William and starts hitting his chest. 

"I think I might like her already," Stevie smirks.

They watch as William has to place his hands on her bicep and she fights against him as he steers her to the table. 

"Oh my god." Are the first words out of her mouth. 

"She's mad at me because I didn't tell her who my parents were and she's a huge fan of Stevie Nicks...Mom, Dad, this is Maddie." William smiles.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, sweetheart." Stevie holds one hand out leaving the other firmly planted on her baby. 

"You're...oh my god." Maddie shakes her head. 

"Now, William why didn't you tell her?" Stevie turns to her son. 

"I have this irrational fear that if I tell people who my parents are that that'll be the only reason they like me," William informs her. 

"It's not irrational because I do it to down in USC," Leelee announces. 

"Well, that's good to know. Maddie this is my mom, Stevie, my dad Lindsey, and my sisters. Leelee Stella, Kaci, and Lexa." William points to them. 

"She's so cute. Can I hold her?" Maddie questions. 

"If she'll let you." Stevie nods as Maddie takes the one-year-old from Stevie. 

Lexa takes a moment to check out the young girl and she eventually decides its okay and goes back to playing with her elephant toy. 

***

Dinner had gone over well and Stevie did surprisingly like Maddie. Come Monday though, Lindsey and Stevie were in the studio recording Twisted and once the demo is complete, they're playing it softly in the background, and Lindsey clears his throat.

"So let's talk about our wedding?" He asks.

"May, I want to get married in May because it's the beginning of Spring and I know that there are two birthdays in May but we can do it right in the middle, like on May 18th. Right here in the backyard." Stevie bites her lip. 

"I think that can be arranged. I've done the big white wedding and I hated every minute of it. So if I can get married in my backyard wearing flipflops, jeans, and a teeshirt that's even better." Lindsey tells her.

"At least put a blazer on?" She asks.

"Fine. I'll put a blazer on." Lindsey nods.

"Good, that makes me happy." Stevie grins planting a kiss to his lips.