20

November 9, 1990

Stevie hasn't been up before nine since she was at San Jose State but when you have a teething, nearly six-month-old, a fifteen-year-old,  a thirteen-year-old,  and a twelve-year-old that's what happens.  Not to mention Lindsey was out in the backyard studio with a guy from Rolling Stones discussing the Fleetwood Mac Album Behind the Mask. She had Kaci on her hip and she was rinsing off the dishes from Breakfast when the telephone rang. She quickly shut the water off and walked over to the phone on the wall in the kitchen. 

"Hello," She answers.

"Stevie, it's Ruth." Lindsey's mother responds.

"Ruth, Hi what's up?" Stevie questions shifting Kaci in her arms.

"Is Lindsey around?" She inquires.

"No, he's out in the studio doing an interview. I can have him call you back later." Stevie tells her.

"No, It's an emergency." Ruth lets out a shaky breath.

"Are you alright?" Stevie's heart starts beating a mile a minute.

"I'm fine...but Greg had a heart attack," Ruth replies.

"Greg did. Really, he's only 45." Stevie shakes her head. She's gotten close with Lindsey's brothers over the years that they've been together and it's almost like Jeff and Greg are not just Lindsey's older brother's but they're hers as well. Not to mention their kids call her Aunt Stevie. 

"He's critical. I just...I think you guys need to come up here." Ruth sniffles. 

"Yes of course. I'll go tell Lindsey and we'll be there sometime tonight. We'll have all of the kids with us." Stevie tells her.

"Alright, I'll set rooms up. Do you think Lee and Stella will mind sharing?" Ruth sighs.

"They will if it's the only option." Stevie leans up against the wall.

"Alright, I'll see you tonight Stephanie. I love you." 

"I love you too Ruth." Stevie hangs up. 

She quickly goes upstairs and backs bags for them. By the way, Ruth sounded she packed for two weeks and she even snuck some black in there just in case. She calls the schools and lets them know what's happening and that they'll be there within a couple of hours to collect them and their work and then she makes her way out to the studio. She stands in the doorway the two men completely oblivious and she listens intently. 

"It's the height of great songwriting and record-making," Lindsey says, "and I think the power and quality of the music will bring people in."

"And the album is out next week?" 

"The Album is out..." Lindsey starts but is quickly cut off by a squeal coming from Kaci who moves towards him in her mother's arms asking to be to handed off. 

"Oh, would you look at that." The interviewer grins as Stevie walks towards them. 

"This is Kaci," Linds says taking her into his arms and sitting her on his lap to face the interviewer.

"Stevie she looks just like you." The Interviewer grins.

"Yeah she does, except my hair isn't naturally curly." She nods.

"What do you need?" Lindsey asks.

"I got a call that I need to tell you about but it can wait a few more minutes. Finish up, I'll just linger." She smiles.

"Alright...as I was saying, It comes out next week on November 15th." Lindsey smiles.

"Well that's all the questions I had for you...but since you're here Stevie, can we expect anything from you, you normally release an album every two years." 

"I'm going to take a break for a while and take care of our kids. The four of them are at all different places right now and I just need to be with them. But with that being said, I am compiling a CD of all of my favorite songs." Stevie shrugs.

"Like a greatest hits?" He questions.

"No, not my greatest hits. Of Course like Edge of Seventeen will be on there, but these are more of my favorite songs. Like Desert Angel. Was never a big hit, never released as a single, I've never performed it in concert but it's one of my favorite songs off of Stevie Nicks, my debut album in 1976." She explains. 

"Can't wait to hear it, Thank you, Lindsey, for doing this for me." He smiles.

"My pleasure, come on we'll walk you out. I'll meet you in the kitchen Steph." He kisses her cheek.

"Alright." She nods as Lindsey and Kaci lead the man to the front of the house. 

She's sitting at the island tapping her red nails on the counter when he walks back in. "So what's this call that you got." 

"Lindsey, it was your mother. Greg um...he, he had a heart attack and she wants us to go up to San Francisco. I've already packed our bags and called the school. We're going to go get them and then we're going to drive to Atherton." Stevie tells him. 

"Greg had a heart attack. He's only forty-five." Lindsey shakes his head. 

"That's what I said...but come on we've gotta get going." Stevie wraps her arms around him. 

***

"1968 Olympic Silver Medalist Gregory Buckingham passed away this morning, November 11, 1990. He took his last breath at San Francisco General surrounded by his family including Rock Icon Lindsey Buckingham. His cause of death has been revealed at this time as complications after a heart attack. He's being laid to rest on November 15th, with a memorial service airing on ESPN at six in the evening brought to you by the Olympic Committee as of right now, scheduled to appear at the memorial ceremony is Charlie Hickcox, John Faris, and Claudia Kolb." Stevie shuts the television off and looks around at the family spread around Ruth's living room. It was sullen and quiet the only sounds were the sounds coming from the pizza boxes on the coffee table opening and closing. 

"Stevie," Lydia-Greg's widow-says.

"Yes?" She asks grabbing her baby and getting situated. It was nearing eight-thirty which is when Kaci gets her only feed from her mother. They were slowly starting to ween her off of breastfeeding so Kaci's down to just one feed a day and Stevie feeds her at night because it puts her to sleep the best. Throughout the rest of the day, it's some 1% Milk or as Stella calls it, the pink baby milk due to the pink cap and some yogurt and other "big people" foods in moderation. 

"Greg loved your music, and I was wondering if you...and I know this is such short notice but would you sing a song?" Lydia asks.

"Absolutely. Who else is making an appearance?" She questions.

"Just some higher up people in the Olympics and he was the swim coach from Stanford so I know that the president of Stanford is coming, and the Stanford Band. I also know that Tom Petty is going to perform because Greg taught his girls how to swim and he called a few hours ago when news first broke and asked to perform." Lydia plays with the hem of her skirt.

"Oh Tom's coming, I didn't think Greg knew Tom Petty," Stevie asks her eyes casting down to peek under the blanket at the suckling infant. 

"Yeah. When Adrian and Annakim were little he seeked Greg out because Jane wanted an olympian to teach their kids to swim, or something like that. All I know is that he brought me to the community pool one day and Tom Petty was there." Lydia shrugs.

"Well, I'd be honored to perform." Stevie nods. 

***

"Good Afternoon, I'm standing up here tonight not as Stevie Nicks but as a member of the Buckingham family. I only knew Greg for a few years but in that short time that I knew him he was like a big brother to me, a friend that I could complain about my significant other too and he'd return the favor because it was his brother. Greg was an amazing swimmer, yes, but he was also an amazing brother, an amazing father, and an amazing Uncle. We're going to miss you, Gregory. We love you, and tonight I'm dedicating this song to you. This is Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You." Stevie says into the mic turning around motioning for her band to start playing.