13

May 26, 1986

They had only had the kids for two days after the custody hearing and they're calling her mom. It came as a shock at first, especially when they walked out of chambers with the judge and Stella flew right into Stevie's arms yelling "MOMMA!" Kristen snapped. She started throwing things off of the table she was sitting at and she was screaming about how Stevie was never going to be her kid's mother and the bailiff ended up having to haul her ass out over his shoulder and she was held in contempt of court. 

But it all was cemented when Stella looked up with tears in her eyes at Stevie and asked if Kristen had been right and Stevie wasn't going to be her mother. The judge just bent down to her level and said, "She's not your mom but she's your second mother so that's just as good." and Stevie nodded and gave her the okay to call her mom. It was odd though and she was still getting used to being called mom and every time one of the kids dropped it, it still freaked her out a little bit. William had yet to call her mom but the girls were calling her mom left and right but she was okay with that. 

It's Stevie's 38th birthday and she was sleeping peacefully until a knee hit her stomach and then she was awake. 

"Happy Birthday momma." Stella cheered jumping on the bed. 

"Thanks, kiddo." Stevie sighs sitting up slightly, Stella still straddling her waist. 

"Happy Birthday, I made you pancakes." William walks in holding a tray.

"Using his new cookbook and everything." Lindsey comes in behind him.

"Oh thank you, they look lovely." Stevie grins. 

She takes one bite and when she smiles at William he gets the biggest grin on his face. "Honey these are amazing. You made these all by yourself with the help of the cookbook?" 

"Yeah, do you really think they're good?" He asks.

"They are really good." Stevie nods.

"Awesome, thanks, mom." He cheers.

"Of course son." Stevie smiles. 

"Alright, you guys scoot, I have to talk to mom." Lindsey ushers them out of the room. 

The kids pout but they leave and Lindsey crawls back in the bed with her. 

"What time do you leave tomorrow?" Lindsey asks.

"My plane takes off at twelve-thirty. I didn't want to leave while the kids were here. It would make it too hard." She shakes her head.

"And we're joining you in Costa Mesa?" He asks.

"Yes please." She nods.

"And San Diego, Mountain View, Sacramento, and Inglewood." He lists.

"I can't wait." Stevie smiles.

"Can you believe it Steph, the kids are ours." Lindsey shakes his head after a moment. 

"Yes, they are. Did you doubt it?" She questions.

"I did. When I told Kristen I wanted a divorce she said that she wouldn't go easy on me and she was right. It almost felt like our prenup didn't mean anything. She tried to get half of my publishing. Then what she made us do with the kids." He shakes his head.

Kristen, because of Stevie's drug habit had them raided and there were insurance claims and doctor visits, and Stevie was forced to go see a drug counselor for a hot minute. 

"Hey, it's done and over with now. We only have to see Kristen every first Saturday of the month, and the weekend before Christmas, not to mention special functions such as Graduation, or in the event that one of our children has a medical emergency." Stevie explains chomping on her pancakes.

"Not to mention, swim meets, and Horse competitions." He rolls his eyes.

"You know Lindsey, I do really feel bad that I'm missing a lot of their horse races this summer but at the same time I'm glad because I don't think I'll be able to sit through those." She wrinkles her nose.

"If I have to...you have to." He points grabbing the fork out of her hand and stealing a bite. 

"Go get your kids ready for school. I'm going to finish these and get in the shower," She practically pushes him off of the bed. 

"They're ready we just have to leave." He smirks.

"Well then send them in so I can say goodbye." She demands. 

***

Later that night, Stevie opens her gifts-a bracelet that says mom on it, a black shawl with gold polka dots on it and gold and black fringe on the bottom, and a picture "for the tour" of her and the kids that Lindsey took at Easter-and they eat some carrot cake before Stella sadly cuddles up to her on the couch,

"I don't want you to leave tomorrow." She pouts.

"Oh baby, I know but I'll be back soon and I'll take you to school tomorrow before I leave so we can say goodbye." She rubs her back.

"I'm going to miss you so much." Stella pouts.

"We all will." Leelee crawls onto the other side of Stevie.

"I'm going to miss you guys so so much." She kisses both of their heads before Lindsey tells them that it's time for bed. 

Stevie puts them all to bed and then she goes downstairs to do the dishes. She's drying off a pan when she feels Lindsey's mouth on the back of her head and his hands clasped at her pelvis. 

"What?" She asks placing the pan down on the drying mat.

"Can't I just show you some affection?" He asks.

"Well, you could. But normally when I'm cleaning up from dinner you run for the hills so I don't make you help me." She states holding out the towel in front of him. 

He huffs and takes it before grabbing a plate. "Only because it's your birthday." 

"Oh well thank ya." She laughs.

"The kids love you, you know," Lindsey says after a moment. 

"I kind of figured that when during YOUR custody hearing all they talked about was me." She smiles.

"It must run in the family because I love you too." He kisses the side of her head.

"Do you?" She asks.

"I do." He nods.

"Wanna show me?" She rinses her hands off and clasps them around his neck.