15

October 3, 1989

Stevie was in Mississippi for Lindsey's fortieth birthday and as much as she was upset that she couldn't be with him and the kids, she at least got to call him. After talking with the kids for an hour, Lindsey finally got the phone.

"Hey, so how are you feeling, still fighting that bug?" He asks.

"Actually No...i'm much better. Lindsey, I have something to tell you when I get home." She twirls the telephone cord. 

"Why do you have to wait until you get home?" He questions.

"Because I do. It's nothing bad, I just want to leave you in suspense." Stevie smirks.

"Come on Steph just spill it." He states.

"Well, are the kids around you?" She questions.

"Yeah, I'm in the living room." He states.

"You CANNOT react, do you hear me, Lindsey Buckingham. DO NOT REACT." she demands.

"I'll try but I'm not promising anything." He tells her.

"I'm pregnant." She tells him.

"Wait...But I thought." He starts.

"I know, I thought so too. But Lindsey it's happening we're having a baby. And the kids told me about their weekend plans and I really want you to fly out here." She bites her lip.

"Yes, of course absolutely." He tells her.

"Great, I'll be in Texas. I'll have Karen set everything up and I'll call you with details. Make an excuse up for the children." She demands. 

"So what's going on." He asks.

"Puking a lot, peeing a lot, sleeping a lot. I have a bump. Honest, it's not very big though it just looks like I ate a big lunch and I can hide it easily under my clothing but I do have one. I saw it as I was getting in the shower this morning." She tells him.

"That's great Angel." 

"Lindsey, Happy Birthday." She says sweetly.

"Thanks. We miss you and we'll see you soon." 

"I know, I love you all. Goodnight." 

***

Stevie was getting ready for the show when a knock came at her dressing room door. Karen opened it and when Stevie saw Lindsey she blew past Karen and into his arms. 

"Hey, Angel." Lindsey coos.

"Come on." She pulls him into the dressing room and over to her purse. 

"We'll talk more about it tonight, but Lindsey look." She holds out the ultrasound and he kisses her head. 

"It's really real." He laughs.

"Yeah, she is." She nods.

"She? What if it's a he?" Lindsey questions. 

"No, It's a she. I can feel it." Stevie smiles up at him.

"Oh, right mother's intuition." He rolls his eyes. 

When they get back to her hotel room, as soon as the door is shut he scoops her up in his arms and he twirls her around. 

"WE'RE HAVING A BABY!" He cheers.

"Yeah we are, are you happy?" She asks.

"Angel, I'm thrilled and when we tell the kids I'm sure they'll be just as excited." Lindsey smiles. 

"Wanna see?" She asks.

"Sure." He laughs as she pulls him into the bedroom part of her suite and strips down for him. 

"Can you see it?" She asks.

"A little bit, yeah." He nods as Stevie gives the biggest smile. The truth was, no he couldn't see it. But he certainly wasn't going to tell her that because he didn't want to upset her. 

"Lindsey, I did some shopping." She cheers.

"Already?" He asks.

"Kind of...Look."She digs in her suitcase for a moment before pulling out a small pile of stuff.

"Okay, this is cute." Lindsey holds up the small ducky stuffed animal.

"It goes with this." Stevie holds out to him a gray plush blanket with white raindrops on it. 

Looking through the pile Lindsey's heart fluttered recalling their conversation from years prior where she confessed that she wanted kids but she'd never be able to have them. But now looking at the stuff she had, the ducky and matching blanket, the gray and white elephant blanket, a white sleeper with tan hedgehogs on it, some gender-neutral receiving blankets, and a little frame that was probably more so for her than the baby that said love at first sight and inside of it was an ultrasound picture. He had to wipe a tear from the corner of his eye. 

"Are you going to keep that one in it?" He asks.

"Yeah, because that's what they looked like when I found out about them." She smiles.

"I'm so glad I was able to give this precious gift to you." He wraps his arms around her and kisses her head. 

All of a sudden he feels hot tears on his neck. "I was so sure this wasn't ever going to happen for me, and I love the kids. Honestly, I do but there's something special about growing one." 

"And they love you so much. All four of them." Lindsey rubs her back.

"I'm so scared that something is going to go wrong even though the doctor said I'm healthy." She cries.

"Don't think about it," He coos rocking her gently.

"Please don't tell the kids. I'm going to announce it in concert on the 23rd. I want to surprise them." She sighs.

"I won't," Lindsey assures.

"Thank you so much, Lindsey." She whispers.

"My pleasure Angel." He lets out a light chuckle. 

"Shower with me?" She asks.

"Fuck yes." He pulls away grabbing her hand and leading her towards the bathroom. 

***

Saying goodbye to Stevie in Texas was hard, especially knowing that she was harboring a precious little life within her but when he got home and picked the kids up from their respective friends' houses he couldn't wait to see their reactions. When homework was done, Dinner was eaten, and the kids had gone to bed, Lindsey pushed open the door to the guest bedroom that was right next to theirs. 

"Well, you are definitely going to need a paint job. Part of me doesn't think she's going to want these walls wallpapered. I'm going to have to move this bed to storage. Oh, little one, you aren't even here yet and you're already causing your daddy so much strife it's not even funny." He says quietly to himself as he examines the guestroom. 

When he finally went into the master he looked at the calendar on her side of the bed and swiped off another day. 14 days until she'd be home for a few days. 52 until she was home for good. She wasn't spending Thanksgiving with them, and the kids were going to Kristen's parents so it'd be Chinese on the couch for him, but he was ready for her to just be home. That way he knew that she and their little baby were healthy and taken care of.