9

November 10, 1985

For the past two years, she had become the dirty mistress again. It was so hard because Lindsey wasn't hers. He was STILL married to Kristen and their kids were ten, eight, and six. At this point, she was thirty-seven and she should be settling down and getting married. She had put out her fourth album and it was good but she was losing herself to the drugs and she knew that. She also knows that instead of going out and trying to find an acceptable mate, she waits and waits at home alone for the telephone to ring and for Lindsey to ask her to meet at a hotel or if he could come over. 

But tonight, he had called and she was slightly drunk and high but she was dressed in a very short silk nighty with a black lace robe and she was waiting for him.  When he got there instead of immediately taking her to bed like he normally would, he walked into the living room and Stevie knew that something was wrong. 

"Lindsey?" She asks her heart beating a mile a minute. 

"She might be pregnant again." He blurts.

Stevie's eyes widen and the tears well up in her eyes.

"What do you mean she might?" She asks.

"Well she took four pregnancy tests two were positive two were not." He shakes his head.

"Get out." She shakes her head.

"Stevie, I..." He starts.

"Just get out." She points tears streaming down her face. 

"No, listen we can work this out..."He starts.

"NO, we can't. Get out." She cries.

He sighs but stands up and kisses her head anyway and slowly makes his way out of the house. 

***

Lindsey is halfway home when his heartbeat quickens and he slams on the breaks. He whips an illegal U and speeds back to Stevie's house. Something was wrong and he could feel it. He pushed through the front door of Stevie's house and she was loomed up against the railing.

"Stevie, Stevie what's wrong?" Lindsey asks.

"I...I," She starts.

"What baby what?" He asks as she slowly falls to her knees. 

"I f-finished my stash." She whispers weakly. His eyes widened and she collapsed into him, blood dripping from her nose. 

"Oh my god, okay..." He moves her into the living part of the house and grabs her phone.

"911 what's your emergency?" 

"I'm at Stevie Nicks' house and I think she's overdosing on Cocaine. Her nose is bleeding, she just passed out in my arms but her heart is going a mile a minute then it's slowing down then it's going a mile a minute again. I don't know how much she took." He says into the phone.

"We have your coordinates a unit will be there as fast as possible. Try to stop the bleeding of her nose. Pinch it with a towel or a cloth." The lady instructs. 

Lindsey grabs the tea towel off of the coffee table next to the mug of tea she had been drinking and he does what he's told, the tears streaming down his face. He holds her in his arms and just rocks and kisses her head as he cries. He didn't want to lose her. 

"It's okay Angel, You'll be okay. You have to be okay." He whispers. 

It was then that her chest stopped going up and down and he quickly removed the cloth. He had learned CPR while he was swimming and he was about to start compressions when the paramedics arrived. 

"She just stopped breathing." He explains.

"Alright, we got it from here. Follow us in your car. Don't worry about the speed limit." The paramedics tell him. 

***

He wasn't allowed back there while they were treating her but he did call Kristen and told her what happened. He was sitting in the waiting room rocking back and forth crying when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to face the person and when he saw Kristen he just shook his head.

"Lindsey... I'm not pregnant. The kids are with my mom and my dad and I just got checked out." She sighs.

"Good." He sniffles.

"You love her don't you?" Kristen leans back in the chair.

"I think so, Kristen." He nods.

"I can't stop you this time can I?" Kristen looks down.

"What do you mean?" He asks turning to face her.

"I was on birth control before I got pregnant with Lee and Stella. When you started drifting away I would stop taking it." She bites her lip.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" He glares at her.

"No, I'm not proud of it...but if you want a divorce go for it. But I'm not going to make it easy on you." She hisses before standing up and walking out of the hospital. 

Lindsey gawked for a moment before a doctor walked out. "Mr. Buckingham, she's stable. But she's sleeping. You can go back there if you want." 

Lindsey nods and follows him and when he's alone in the private room he starts crying again. He takes her hand in his and just lays his head on it. He was staring out the window as the sun was setting. He still had about four hours until visiting hours were over but even if he had to sit in the waiting room he wasn't going to leave until he got to talk to her. 

"Lindsey, what happened?" He hears. He turns to her and he practically jumps over to her bed. 

He wraps his arms around her and just rocks with her for a while. "Oh, Angel. you scared the shit out of me." 

"What happened?" She repeats.

"Angel, you overdosed." Lindsey sits on the edge of her hospital bed.

"I overdosed? How could I have overdosed?" She questions.

"Stevie you snorted the last of what you had after I told you that Kristen might be pregnant...she's not...found that out a few hours ago," Lindsey explains.

"Lindsey that was fifty grams, I did it all?" She asks.

"Yes. I knew something was wrong. I was halfway home and then something just I don't know but I turned around and you were barely functioning and then you passed out and your nose was bleeding and your heart couldn't decide if it wanted to stop or beat 500 beats per minute. You stopped breathing there for a hot minute too. Angel, you need to get some help." Lindsey sighs.

"You're right. I do need some help. I hate my nose and I wanted to have a nose job but I went to the plastic surgeon and he said that he couldn't give me one because I have a hole the size of a wedding ring in my septum." Stevie collapses back into her pillows. 

"Wait...she's not pregnant?" Stevie sits back up and grabs Lindsey's shoulders.

"She's not pregnant. And she told me that every time our marriage started falling apart she'd stop taking her birth control so she'd get pregnant." Lindsey tells her.

"That's..." She just shakes her head and sobs into his chest.

"What's wrong?" He rubs her back.

"Are you mine now?" She sniffles.

"I can be if that's what you want." He nods.

"That's what I want." She holds him close.

"Alright, once you get clean let's give life a shot huh?" He asks.

"I'd like that." She kisses him.