Chapter 3

Jaemin has been laying in his bed for hours now, still unable to bring himself to sleep. His mind kept telling him to go in the forest these last few days to find out if dragons really did rest by the pond at night. He had read the books Donghyuck brought home about dragons and ever since he found out the location of the pond, he couldn't stop thinking about it, wanting to witness it upclose for himself. Donghyuck, whose snores were making it even harder to fall asleep now, prompted him to go even more.

He slipped out of bed and walked with small, light steps, trying to not make any sound, leaving his room with a jacket for the slight chill of the spring night. He was sure it wouldn't be a good idea to go outside, but his curiosity was too strong. He knew he shouldn't actually be out this late, especially to the area he was going, but he just couldn't help it. Jaemin just had to see the dragons, if they were really even there.

Everytime Donghyuck and Jaemin snuck out of the house and went to play in the forest after dinner, they would get scolded by their mom who would become worried sick when the sun fell. She told them what terrible things happen in the forest at night. The most horrifying creatures would come out of their spots to hunt down their prey. She also told them how a few guards of the royal family disappeared, everyone assuming they met a terrible fate, most likely from infersouls.

This frightened the boys, and from that moment on, they only went to the forest at daytime.

Until now.

Jaemin quietly slipped on his boots, tightening the strings holding it on his foot, and snuck out through the door. He ran swiftly through the back of the village towards the forest in hopes that no one else would be out to spot him, the crisp night air hitting his face and making his hair fly. He reached the forest edge and passed through a rather large opening in the bush, immediately descending into the darkness, small wisps of moonlight peering down from above the trees in a few spots. Jaemin had memorized the route to the pond by heart after reading many books about dragons, and once his eyes adjusted to the abrupt darkness he began on his way.

Not too far from the entrance, he crossed an old wood bridge connecting two sides of land, separated by a small stream set deep within the forest floor. Turning left after the third oak tree north of the bridge, and coming across a crumbling and weathered stone wall, reminiscent of the kingdom's past. He ran from there to a small cluster of older looking trees, all twisted around each other and curved over each other in a way resembling an arch.

Jaemin continued to jog through the dark forest, almost tripping multiple times over unseen logs and elevated roots. He eventually reached a small clearing illuminated by the light of the moon, showing him a small cottage that looked to be in decent condition, even though Jaemin had no idea who would be out here so much as to have a house away from the village. He turned left just before the clearing began, repeating the directions under his breath like a mantra, to continue to remember them for his way back home.

Over the bridge, turn left at the third oak tree, and turn right at the weathered stone wall. Go straight until you face the arched trees and continue your direction, and then turn left at the cottage.

Bridge, third oak tree, stone wall, arched trees, cottage. Bridge, third oak tree, stone wall, arch-

Then he saw them. He stopped dead in his tracks, Jaemin couldn't believe his eyes.

The dragons were gracefully resting on the boulders messily stacked to the side, their wings and tails twitching every few seconds in their slumber, reflecting the moonlight off in the most beautiful way possible. There was one which caught his eye immediately, a beautiful ruby red one, appearing to be made of the gem itself, glinting whenever the dragon shifted in its sleep.