CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Jackson

It's been a few days since the dinner and Kevin has not been the same.

After he left the greenhouse with my mom he had been possibly happier but even then he was quiet, reserved and more in his thoughts that one would think he was completely not present.

I sat in my office at the restaurant wondering what to do about it because he wasn't talking and I didn't want to push, to seem like I was trying to force him to be okay. However, I wanted to help however I could.

I shook my head recalling Jordan. He was about the only person who I could say was a friend, but that was because he was practically family.

"So, what was that about?" I had my arms over my chest, mom had taken Kevin out to the greenhouse, our signature safe space. Jordan was alone, Nick went to take a call.

"I don't know what you are talking about." I rolled my eyes as he stacked the plates onto the drying rack. Why they wanted to manually do dishes was beyond me. He looked up at me with a small teasing smile.

"You were flirting."

"I always flirt."

"Not like that." I shook my head and glared at him. "What are you up to?" He only laughed.

"Relax, Jacky." I gave him a nasty look at the nickname which only made him laugh harder. "I like Kevin... A little quiet, but, he seems nice."

"And your approval is necessary because...?" He shrugged.

"It isn't, but, just in case, 5 stars." He winked and dried his hands. "I was just trying to see if it was true."

"What was?"

"That the two of you were madly in love but weren't gonna do anything about it." I rolled my eyes knowing right then that Nick was gossiping about me again. "It's a shame, you two look good." He took out his phone then and blushed. "I should head out."

"Why?" I probed curiously then as he rounded the corner and I followed behind. He gave me a scowl.

"Non of your business, dweeb." He scoffed and I laughed.

Shaking my head I sighed going back to work.

I spent most of the day in the restaurant, too distracted by work to really leave the office. I spent lunch alone, again. Eventually closing time approached and a knock shook me from my thoughts.

"Hey," Louis peaked from behind the door and I gave him a nod to come in. "Hope this isn't a bad time."

"No, no, what's up?" I rested my chin on my fist.

"It's about Kevin." I felt my body perk up then. "He seems a little...off."

I frowned at him. "What do you mean?"

"Kid seemed rather bubbly when he first got here," he chuckled. "Gets along with everyone, really dedicated but...for the past few days," he shook his head. "He barely speaks to us anymore. It's odd, especially since we've all gotten so used to him being...alive, you know. It might be nothing but, we know how close you guys are and thought you should know... You know, just in case things aren't okay, you'd be the best to ask." He spoke quickly, scratching his neck awkwardly and staring wide eyed into my eyes, like he was afraid I'd get mad any moment.