CHAPTER TWO

Jackson

Today was busier than I had anticipated but it was welcomed. I watched over my employees ensuring that they were doing everything they were supposed to. The host was pleasant, smiling and joking, providing a friendly atmosphere.

I nodded in satisfaction as I ventured into the kitchen. I offered smiles to everyone albeit small they were assured that they were doing everything right.

I moved over to watch the cook I had in place to help me with the orders. Satisfied that he was proving very capable, I prepared myself to begin cooking.

The restaurant was mine and I happen to cook for it too. It was a passion of mine since I was young as well as baking. I also owned a bakery on the other side of town which I had spent the last week ensuring that it was up to my standards.

This week I would be with the restaurant. I worked with speed and accuracy, not missing a single beat. As the hours passed it was closing time and several take away orders were made by satisfied clientele who could not help but want more for later.

"So,boss? You closing up?" One of my younger waiters asked peaking into my office. I nodded to him.

"Yeah,you go home, Louis." I said and waved. I sighed and after checking with the books. I ventured into the kitchen. It was already cleaned and I was hungry.

As I prepared my meal I paused in wonder of the homeless boy I'd seen three days ago. I hadn't thought of him until now as I stared at the food I prepared for myself. I hadn't seen him since either. 

The rain began in that moment,pattering against the windows and I looked out in wonder. I imagined big blue eyes and shoulder length dark hair and pale skin covered in dirt. I could see him in my mind,shivering out in the winter cold while I stood here in the warm kitchen. Guilt ate at me for no reason and I decided to check if maybe he was out there again, looking for food.

As I opened the door to the alley behind the restaurant, I peaked out,my umbrella drawn. In the dim light I saw shadows,unmoving.

"Kevin?" I tried my luck and was met with complete silence. I pulled back inside,trying my hardest not to worry. I told myself he was in a shelter for homeless people, it sounded plausible and it helped calm me.

I finished making the lasagne and ate slowly,in peace,the rain lulling me gently. I finished and boxed the rest of the lasagne and washed the dish,ensuring I left everything as clean as I found it before heading home.

As I locked up and turned the lights off I noticed it was 23:45. This caused me to be on high alert. You never know who lurked around at this time, it was best to be safe. I looked around myself,and wrapped my coat around myself tightly as I held the umbrella near me. I approached my car, unlocking it and sliding in,the umbrella was thrown in the back while the lasagna lay on the front seat as I closed my door and started my SUV. I immediately turned the heat on and paused for a moment to warm up.

The winter rain made cold brutal. I pulled put of the parking lot and began my hour drive back home.

As I drove I couldn't resist peaking into alley's and at places I assume homeless people with no shelter to take cover in during times like this. It was a couple of streets away when I saw it. A shadow of a boy rummaging through a trashcan.

I drove a bit slower to confirm my suspicion. As the headlights of my car hit him,the boy turned and I knew it was him.

I pulled up beside him and he took a step back. I drew my window down.