CHAPTER SIX

Jackson

I may have been an idiot. He was right, I didn't really know him, but somehow he bothered me. He was just always on my mind it made me feel crazy and my cousin Nick was no help in the matter.

In truth, I had looked for Kevin, searched the nearby alleys to see if I could just spot him just so I felt better about letting him go off on his own. I hadn't been successful and I had managed to convince myself for the passed few days that he was okay, that I didn't need to worry. When he collapsed in my arms, I knew I was wrong and honestly the decision was made on my way home with him in the backseat. I hoped I wasn't wrong about him, I hoped that I could actually accomplish what I was offering to him.

I watched him smile shyly at me before sitting down to eat. It was comfortable between us, I stood once I was done and searched my medical cabinet for some flu medication because I realised that he had caught it. I set it down in place of his food with a glass of water. He took them without question and I chuckled.

"How can you not ask what they are for?" He looked sheepishly at me through the glass of water he was drinking.

"Do I have to? I mean, did you plan to drug me or something?" I couldn't help shake my head.

"No, but, you didn't know that," he shrugged with a blush.

"I guess I trust you more than you think."

"Why?" I found myself asking as I packed everything up and loaded the dish washer.

"Well, how could I not?" I turned to see him with his cat in his arms. "You gave me a bed to sleep in when nobody else would," he smiled up at me and it was the cutest thing I had ever seen, I felt my cheeks warm. "You are also giving me more than I could ever ask for, I trust you."

That was an answer I hadn't been expecting and it warmed my heart to be honest. I turned away from him to close the dishwasher and turn it on when really, I was trying hard not to feel what I was feeling. The fact that he said he trusted me made me smile widely and it made my heart jump. I shook my head and ran my hand over my cheeks to get me looking normal.

"Right," I said and nodded. "Well, here is the plan." He looked up at me seriously and I couldn't help chuckle. His blue eyes suddenly looked so blue and so deep, I had to look away in order to focus. "I spend most of my days at work so you may be left alone for periods of time," I began walking us into the living room. "I don't know if you actually plan on it,but I don't like having strangers in my house, as ironic as it is." He chuckled and nodded.

"You don't have to worry about that. I don't have friends." I glanced at him and nodded.

"Basically you can do whatever you want, as long as you keep my place clean, I'm a bit of a clean freak, some would say." I rubbed my neck. "This remote is for the TV, this one for the stereo and this one for the remote controlled blinds." I explained to him slowly and showed him each of them. He looked really focused as I told him. I showed him around my apartment. "You can ready anything in here you may find interesting." I told him as we entered the study.

The shelves had multiple genre books. Kevin looked up at me with wide eyes.

"Really?" He asked in a whisper of astonishment. It looked like it meant a lot to him.

"Yeah, of course." His eyes were suddenly glassy and he looked away to cough before he sniffed.

"Thank you, Jackson..." He chuckled. "I'd hug you but I don't think you'd appreciate that." I blinked then and rubbed my neck, I fought back a smile.