Chapter 6: Another Jerk

Let's have a little fast forward.

Happy reading!

Hollie

A couple of years had gone by in a blur and now, I'm finally out of that hell hole!

Zenny -being my legal guardian- formally gave me her permission. I can live on my own now. There's just one last problem.

Sure, all the bullying stopped the moment I graduated. But they never left me alone. I'm talking about the ghosts.

There are perks when you have a... I don't know if it's a gift or a curse... Let's just say that it's kind of a talent.

Okay, back to what I was telling you.

There are perks when you have a talent like mine. And there are also the socially and economically unfavourable disadvantages.

Only last week did I start my first work at a café. I was so happy. My plan was to work my way out of college, but it seems to be harder than I thought.

And there was this guy, a regular customer, who seemed to have his eyes glued to my face. Oh! Do you still remember the badly-behaved ghost that I told you who followed me home when I was still in highschool? Well, she never ceased following me. It was kind of weird of her. Usually, ghosts and lost souls come to me for help, but she was different. She was happy and would stop bugging me whenever I give her anything sweet, especially a mango gateau.

Back to the guy I was talking about.

The ghost told me that the guy likes me. I didn't believe her at first but then suddenly the guy asked me out.

That was one of the perks. You get to know some things. I asked the ghost if she knew Richard (that was the guy's name) and she wagged her head no.

Today will be our first official date.

The night he asked me out was a disaster. We went to a park. Everything should've been perfect if it wasn't for the white lady who kept on following me. I excused myself and told Richard that I was just going to the lady's room, but actually I went to help the ghost of a lady. She said she lost her pet cat and that I should go look for it. The night dragged on and I forgot about Richard. I only remembered that I was on a date when I found the cat and the ghost readily passed on.

I really want to make it up to him. I asked Mango -that's what I decided to call the ghost who always follows me- what she thinks I should wear on our first date and she told me that Richard's favourite color was green.

I was like 'What the hell'!

Green sucks! Not only does it remind me of that despicable jerk, but it is really not my favourite color.

"Hi!" A woman greeted.

"Good day ma'am. May I take your order?" I smiled politely. She ordered something and I paid the slightest attention as I thought I saw someone I knew outside.

My eyes followed the person in a black coat. His back was on me and I mentally egged him to turn around. He looks at his right side where a girl stood. They talked a little and then he signed the girl's handkerchief.

"My gosh! It can't be him."

My brows furrowed in confusion. Right after they graduated, they all moved to Longmurnan. I know that that city's only a five-hour drive away from here, but it's much of a coincidence. Why go to the sleepy town of Bliss when you're in a great city, right?

"Hey! Remember! No nuts." The customer warned.

"Yes mademoiselle!" I answered to the customer and smirked at the guy who I thought was that jerk.

Why do I even bother if he is here? I huffed. He can go everywhere he wishes so long as he doesn't show up in my face.

Another customer waves his hand for me to take his order.

"Good morning Thomas! What would you like for breakfast?" I beamed at the balding old man.

"How d'you do, Hollie? Hmm. I think I'll be having a clubhouse sandwich and some coffee." He smiled toothily.

"I'm good. Thanks! Black coffee?" I suggested and he nods. "Would that be all?"

"Yes, yes."

I was about to walk to the counter to give the cashier the list of orders when I notice Mango was hovering behind the man in a black coat outside the shop. The man crossed the road and Mango followed him.

"Excuse me miss!" I was snapped back to reality as the woman came bobbing towards me. "I told you no nuts! Didn't you hear me?"

"Oh sorry Ma'am. I will give you another-" I said, my eyes fixed on Mango.

"NO! Look what you did!" She gestured to her son.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked incredulously as I look at the fat kid.

"Why you-" The woman started, but was interrupted when the boy started to breathe abnormally fast. The woman pulled something out of her purse. "Just hold on a sec my baby!" It was a syringe. She injected the syringe to the boy's leg and it hit me.

Oh gosh! He's allergic to nuts!

"Breathe! Breathe!" The woman made a circular motion on her hand and pulled her son outside. But before that, she said "I would never step foot in this shop again! Ever."

BANG! Goes the door.

This very same day, I got fired.

I grudgingly trudge along the pavement. What did I do to deserve this? And then I saw Richard on the other side of the road busy tapping at his phone. Oh gosh! I forgot about our date. My phone suddenly buzzed and I realised it was Richard calling.

I smiled to myself. At least, there's still another reason for me to smile.

"Hello?" I answered excitedly, looking at him from across the road.

"Where are you?" He asks, looking from side to side. Oh! I haven't told him that I got fired. Maybe he went to the cafe for me and found out I wasn't there.

"Just walking around." I said playfully.

"Well, I just wanted to talk. I'm kind of busy at the moment. Can we meet on another day? Something came up." He sounded apologetic. I waited for him to continue and tell me what was wrong but he remained silent.

"Okay."

"Are you sure? I'm so sorry Holls. I promise, I'll make it up to you. This is just unavoidable."

I look at him and he was still looking from side to side. He might have a big problem and he can't tell me. I made a decision that I'll follow him. I thought that if he can't tell me, then it must be serious.

"It's okay. When can we meet again?" I hoped tomorrow will be his answer.

He hesitated and scratches the back of his neck. Is he frowning? His brows knitted. Even from the distance, I can still see it.

"I'm not really sure." He answers over the phone.

"Oh. Okay." I answer glumly.

"Okay. Bye Holls. I'll call you."

I watch him put his phone down and went inside the restaurant. I followed him.

From across the road, I can see him through the windows of the restaurant. He waved at someone and I followed his eyes' direction. A girl waves back at him as he approach her and then when they were near, they...

Oh crap.

My heart was shattered into pieces as I watch Richard lean down at the girl for a kiss.

END