Chapter 23: One Shot at Happiness

Harry

"This is all your fault! Your sister is your responsibility!"

"Why didn't you stop her from leaving?"

"You could have prevented this to happen!"

"I will blame no one else but you!"

Father's words were still clear in my head as if I heard them just a moment ago.

"Is this some kind of a sick joke to you?"

"What in the world are you talking about?"

"Arranged marriage? I never thought you'd stoop this low." Zayn shouts in rage. He was walking up and down upfront the fireplace.

I've never seen him lose his calm like this.

Wait- He said arranged marriage, right? Have I gone deaf?

"What do you mean?" I ask, even though I already have a hunch. And that hunch includes the person I've just had the most unfortunate chance to converse with.

"Stop playing innocent, Harry! You're just fooling yourself!"

"I really don't know, okay?!" I roared just as angry as him. "Whatever you heard, it's probably just a lie!" I said with derision. "Sheez!"

"How is it a lie when it's on the front page already?"

Zayn throws a rolled up newspaper on the centre table. It rolls open on its own, and there was a photo of my face grinning like an idiot beside...

"Bree? What is this?"

"STYLES AND SMIT-MCPHEE, ABOUT TO TIE THE KNOT"

I may vomit!

Just seeing the headline makes me want to shove my fist at someone right now.

I knew it! He wouldn't come all the way here from another continent just to have dinner. That's just an absurd excuse!

For over a minute, I was just gaping at it like a gargoyle. When I got a grip, I crumpled the paper and throw it to the fire. It crackled, hissing as it burns.

"Apparently, your father wants to surprise you." Zayn's voice was laced with venom, but at least he stops yelling.

"And as it appears, he doesn't know me at all." I said, gritting my teeth. I pull on my hair, messing it around in frustration.

"What are you gonna do about it?"

My eyes found the fireplace again. The paper now ashen and black.

"He didn't come home to see me. Not like I expected that from him. I bet tonight is part of his plan." I was talking more to myself than to Zayn.

Suddenly...

"Damn it!"

"Ow!"

"Liam, you mongrel!"

A kerfuffle of thuds made Zayn and I turn around.

"Erm... Well hello there, mates! So, what's the... Uh...What's the plan?" Louis was looking at us upside-down as he, Niall and Liam have their bodies sprawled on the floor. Obviously hiding to eavesdrop on Zayn and me.

"Hey! How long have you been there?" Zayn has his brows furrowed.

"Long enough." Niall mutters sheepishly, dusting his clothes clean. "We're gonna find out anyways so why the private talk?"

"You got that right, Niall! Who's the fortunate lady by the way?" Liam joins in as he too stands up.

"What lady?" I ask.