Chapter 39: Evil Deed

Zayn

"Henry, how is she?"

Niall and Eirylle went after Hollie. I know this because Niall called moments before the accident. He said that they know where Hollie is going. So I went after them to. The next thing I know, I'm witnessing Niall and Eirylle being the center of the world's eye.

They got into an accident. Shaken and my brain being blown away by panic, I literally slapped myself. It may sound so funny but I really did that to get a grip of myself. It was I who called for help.

In the middle of the rescue, another commotion broke out which was caused when a woman collapsed. I couldn't care less but something tells me that I should look into it, and I found myself staring at Hollie's unconscious figure, blood surrounding her body.

"Let's talk somewhere private." Henry replies pulling me back to the present. He grabs my forearm and started dragging me along the hall. People were directing their attentions to us or, more accurately, to me for I know they recognize me even with my beanie low and a face mask on.

"Why can't you just tell me now?" I ask, annoyed with the delays he's making.

As I can't entrust Hollie with my mother due to some circumstances, I brought Hollie to Henry. Henry used to work in the hospital owned by our family. He left to do free services for people in remote places. That day was a sad one for he was like an older brother to me. I go to him whenever there's a problem at home or I just don't feel like talking to my mother.

We enter a make shift stock room where all the medical necessities and stuff are... well... stocked.

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?" He suddenly shouts, his face blazing red with anger.

I was completely clueless as to why he's acting antsy and all.

"Why don't you tell me, Henry? Because I don't have any idea at all!" I raise my hands up in surrender, bewildered by his sudden outburst. Henry begins to pace up and down the aisle of medicines. "You're not making sense! Would you stop overreacting and tell me what is going on?"

"She's pregnant! What do you expect my reaction would be? You never think! You know full well that you're under public scrutiny..."

I lost Henry there.

Hollie... Hollie is pregnant?

Henry's voice sinks into the background as my mind races, thinking of possible reasons. There's only one person's face swimming in the surface of my mind's eye though.

That fucking jerk! He didn't think this through!

I wasn't aware of what I'm doing. All I know is that I walk out of the room that smells ten times worse than the hospital itself and half walk, half run my way to her ward.

A nurse exits the room where she is confined. "Is she awake?"

"Yes, sir. But Dr. Henry said no visitors until-"

"Let him in." I look over my shoulder to see Henry with his arms crossed. I guess he really is upset about this. But I have no time to tell stories. So telling him about Hollie's unforeseen state is not an option. "He needs to see her." He added to the nurse who moves out of the way.

Finally, I enter the room. Hollie stares at me. It seems that only yesterday I was telling her how I felt for her. Time flies so fast you barely even notice it until things like this happen.

Her face was pale and blank. Blank and white as a paper. She only ever look alive when a tear comes down her face. What made my jumbled and messed up brain all the worse was when she start pleading, "Please, Zayn. Please don't tell Harry." As if she sees through me she added, "Promise me."

That's all it took me to remain calm on the outside but chaotic on the inside. In spite of her firm decision of not sending the news to Harry, I chide, "Why? Why can't I tell that douchebag? Do you think you can do this on your own?"

"That's not it. You will never understand."

"Enlighten me then!" I can't believe my cool is slipping away. I was shouting because I wanted her to stop being like this. Like she doesn't need anyone. Like it will hurt her if she ever let someone in in her life.

"It's my fault why they end up in that accident! They weren't supposed to be there if it weren't for me!"

"No, it's not! That's why it's called an accident, Hollie."

Hollie looks away as if ashamed of what I might see in her eyes. Her reaction was a little too late. I already saw it: her sorrow.

From out of nowhere, my brain conjures a question that is quite contradicting my former ones. "Do you still wanna run away?"

At this, she turns to face me again. There and then, I realise how we've been a burden to her.

She doesn't want to leave because she wants us out of her life. She needs to leave because she wants herself out of ours. Then I ask myself why terrible things keep on happening to us. I don't know the answer to my own question though. But I hope that something good will come out of all of this.

"Zayn, I... I know this is asking too much from you, but will you help me?"

How could anyone say no to her? How could I ignore her when she's like this?

"Are you sure you want to leave?"

Hollie kept her gaze steady. So silly of me to think this way but it was as if she's saying, "I'm not flinching Zayn. What do you think?"

I sighed, "Okay. By all means, I will."

"Thank you."

"Can I... Can I tell you something?" My voice sounded hesitant. But all of the investigating that I've done will be for nothing if the main person who needs to know is still unaware of it.

Before I could utter another word, the door to her room swooshes open and in came the least person I expect to see.

"Good job my son." My mother clapped upon entering the room. "You found her."

"Z-Zayn?" Hollie was horrified. "What's going on?"

"What're you doing here?" I cast my gaze at Hollie at first before I return my gaze at my mother.

"Henry told me everything."

That bastard! I should've told him that this wasn't just another game of hide and seek with my mother.

Two gooney men whose suits appear to be stretched to their limit approaches Hollie. In that instance, I blocked their way.

"You're not allowed to go anywhere near her!" My mother rolls her eyes as if I'm the most pathetic person in the world. But they will never understand! They're going to put Hollie in peril just by their mere touch and I'm not letting them. "You can't touch her!"

"Zayn! Please leave this to me. I won't hurt her. We're just gonna transfer her to our hospital. It's better there, isn't it?"

I can't fall short for her words. No way.

"I know what you did mother."

My mother becomes immobile for a while and then her gaze zeroed in on me. "What are you talking about?"

There's only one thing left to do. I grab Hollie's hand as well as my mother's and connect their hands together. The effect was instant.

"It is true." I breathe as I watch Hollie gasps for breath as if she's drowning. Then she remains still.

"What was that all about?"

This is all I could do since I can't really tell her that it was my mother's fault that's why she ended up suffering a life without a family. And it's time that she becomes aware of it.

This is just the beginning of all I could do to redeem my family's evil deeds.