Chapter 13: Poltergeist

Gotta use your imagination.

Hollie

“If I knew better, you and George have everything to do with this.” I fumed as we pull out our bags from the back compartment of the car.

“What are you so riled up for? I thought you wanted a job? I helped you find one and now you’re being so mean to me.” She fakes a sob and I roll my eyes.

“Oh Eirylle, give me a break.” I marched away from her, speeding a little just to create a lot of space between us.

She’s right. It’s not like she’s setting me up. For all I know, she just wants to keep an eye on me. After what happened at the hotel.

“I.D. please?” An old man holds his palm out.

“Just a moment.” I scramble inside my bag, searching for the laminated card. I look at the man again to see him expressing his most bored expression.

Still, I can’t find my card.

“Here. You dropped it.”

Somebody’s hand outstretches to the man while holding my card. “Thanks.” I say to the young lady with that shiny black hair. She is younger than me but there’s an intimidating vibe emanating from her.

The man suddenly stands upright and bows at the young woman. “Good day Ms. Penderghast!”

Penderghast? I think I heard of that. But where?

“Hollie!” Someone whispers behind me. I look over my shoulder to see Eirylle gesturing for me to come to her.

I face the girl again and said, “Thank you.” She looks rather familiar, but like her name, I can’t remember where I’ve seen her.

She smiled in an untroubled tranquillity and walks away.

When I reached Eirylle, I asked, “Have you heard of the name Penderghast?”

“Yes! You did so too, because that name’s written in the form.” Eirylle held the family info-form that George handed to us.

“Oh that’s a bummer.” I breathe. “Then that must be Liana!”

“Don’t worry. They say she’s very nice.” Eirylle mutters trying to suit my panic state.

She looks anything but nice.

~

While I walk with Eirylle and the other servants, I can’t help but be in so much awe. The house can be considered a castle, only this one has no turrets and the walls are covered with pristine paint showing no hint of any rough brick.

The butler was taking us in a tour and we follow along. We first walked in the foyer where there are many pictures that almost concealed the high stretch of walls.

“This place used to be a ruin, abandoned by the family who once lived here leaving only their memories in frames. The Penderghasts saw a great potential of the vast lands so they had this place renovated and rebuilt. See that row of portraits over there? They are the previous owners of this place. The last and only daughter disappeared and no one knows where she went. She ran away. They say that she died in starvation or she wasn’t able to take care of herself.” I look at the pictures that Bernard, the butler, was referring to.

There was no picture of any young girl. Maybe they weren’t able to depict her image before she fled.

“What a tragic story. But do we really have to know all about this mansion’s history? It has almost been fifty years ago anyway and it doesn’t even involve housekeeping!” I hear one of the girls whisper to someone.