Chapter 16: Spirit Photobomber

Zayn

"She's in the third floor balcony with her friend, Sir." A maid informed me of Hollie's whereabouts.

"Thank you."

I walk out of the lift and went straight to the last room on the hall that leads to the only balcony on this floor.

As I approach them I hear Eirylle's voice as she talks incessantly. "Maybe you're an empath in some other way. Only you see the darkest in a person."

What is she even talking about?

Not wanting to be thought of as an eavesdropper, I cleared my throat to make my presence known to the two girls.

"Oh." Hollie's friend utters and she let her mouth ajar for a second in clear display of shock which I just ignored.

"How're you feeling?"

Hollie smiles genuinely at me. "I-Uh... I'm f-feeling a-a lot better, thanks t-to you and Mrs. Malik."

"We're very happy of your fast recovery." I feel uncomfortable with the way Eirylle seems to be scrutinising my every move. Her watchful eyes are worst than a whole bunch of paparazzi. "I-I'll get to the point why I'm here."

Eirylle stands up beside Hollie.

"Well, it's about the incident. The Penderghasts are still not able to find the criminal. It would be of great help if you could give a statement to a group of private investigators that I hired-"

"I reckon that's not necessary. Right, Holls?" Hollie's friend interrupts and it was my mouth that was left ajar this time.

"I beg your pardon?" I chuckled. "I'm sorry. But surely, you did consider that this is for-"

"N-No. It's- It's r-really okay Zayn." Hollie's hands were together like in a prayer as she talks to me. "But th-there really is no n-need to investigate. I-I..." She gave Eirylle a look like she was asking for her help. "I ha-have already t-taken a lot of advantages of y-your hospitality and I p-promise to repay you in any way that I can."

"That won't be necessary." I wave it off like a fly.

"B-But I really, r-really have to leave soon."

"Your staying here is not a problem, Hollie."

"It's not t-that... I-I forgot" She fidgets on her fingers and pauses for a while. "my-my stuff at t-the Pender-"

"What? Are you serious?" Eirylle chimes in with complete bewilderment. "Have you gone mad, Hollie? We're not going back there!"

"I-I didn't say we. I said l." Hollie sighs in distress.

"I can just send someone there to retrieve your things." I supplied to Eirylle's consolation.

"Yeah! He can do that. I mean –Don't let her, Sir Malik!" Eirylle turns to me with pleading eyes. "You said it yourself, Sir, the malefactor's still on the loose."

Just a while ago she told me that investigating the case was unnecessary, and now she's asking me to stop her friend from coming back to that place because the culprit's still on the loose. What a weird girl.

Hollie's eyes met mine. I can only see one thing in there: determination.

Thoughtfully contemplating Hollie's excessive seriousness, it appears she is determined to go back there. And nothing can stop her even with one of her feet in a cast. "Well, then... At least let me talk to the others. I think they too have a say in this."