Playground

art by: Super0yo on twitter
request: Children AU
word count: 1038
i tried to write it from a kid perspective so it's heckin short

idk children personalities based on age so sorry if this doesn't make sense?? i THINK i made Skeppy 4 and Bad 6 but i dunno :')

also everything is lowercase this chapter for *aesthetic* ooo but it will return to normal next update

(zak)

my mom took me to the park today. she sat down on a bench and pointed to the playground.

"go make friends!" she said, smiling.

i had never really made friends before, but i was determined to try.

i turned away from her and tumbled to the playground. my feet hit a black, plastic barrier. i stepped over it, sticking my feet into the woodchips surrounding the jungle gym.

i picked one woodchip up to examine it. then a few seconds later, i threw it back to the ground. it wasn't very entertaining.

my eyes caught the bright yellow slide. it reminded me of a banana. i decided i wanted to go down that slide. immediately.

my feet started running to the ladder, but my shoes were too big. i tripped halfway, crashing down into the woodchips. they poked me all over.

i sat up, brushing them off my clothes. "stupid idiots," i told the chips.

my knees hurt from falling, and my face stung where the stupid chips had attacked me.

i didn't want to cry, but it hurt real bad.

"are you okay?" a voice asked from behind me.

i turned around, teary-eyed to see another boy. he looked a little older than me. he had light brown hair, maybe dirty blonde, and a pair of glasses on that made him look smart.

he reached a hand out and squatted down slightly. i whipped my eyes on my sleeve and took his hand, letting him struggle to pull me up.

i giggled. "thank you."

he smiled back and then pointed to the slide. "wanna ride the slide?"

i nodded, forgetting about the stinging in my knees, and grabbed his hand. i pulled him to the ladders and we climbed up. we each went down the slide a few times until i decided i was bored of the banana slide. i waited at the bottom for my new friend.

he stood next to me. "you are kind of short," he laughed.

that made me sort of mad. "i am not!" I turned him around and stood back to back against him, putting my hand up to my head to see our height difference.

i realized it was a bigger difference that i first thought. he was a couple inches taller.

i backed away shamefully and he turned around to smile like he knew he was right.

"i-i'll grow!" i insisted, red in the cheeks.

"what's your name?" he asked.

"zak," i responded, crossing my arms, "what's yours?"

"darryl."

"darryl?" i mocked, "that name sounds too old for you."

he tilted his head, confused.

"i think i'll call you darry instead," i nodded.

his smile grew bigger than i had ever seen. i guess he was happy to have a nickname.

"what do you wanna do now?" i asked.

"let's play tag!"

adrenaline kicked in. i was excited.

"okay!" i reached over to tag his shoulder before running away laughing. "you're it!"

"hey!! come back here!"

i ran and ran until i got too tired to run anymore. i looked behind me to see darry sitting on the ground.

i went over to him, looking down at him. "i won," i told him.

he was breathing heavily.

"are you okay?" i asked, sitting on my knees next to him.

he nodded. "i have asthma,"

"assmuh?"

he nodded again.

i didn't know what assmuh was, but i was determined to make darry feel better.

it always made me feel better when my mommy hugged me. i looked around for darry's mom, but i didn't know which one she was. and i didn't want to leave darry.

so i hugged him instead. "it's okay, darry."

he leaned against me and his breathing started to go back to normal. that made me happy. hugs could heal anything, i guess.

"thank you, zak," he mumbled. hearing my name made me smile.

"are we friends?" he asked.

"of course!" i replied, pulling away from the hug to look at him like he was crazy. "we are friends forever now!"

that made him smile again. i liked his smile.

he took off his glasses and rubbed the lens on his shirt to clean them. his eyes were more noticeable now. i saw that they weren't brown like mine.

"wow, look at your eyes!" i gasped, leaning towards his face.

his cheeks turned pink. "what's wrong with them?"

"nothing! they're really pretty!"

his face turned even redder and he put his glasses back on. "thank you! let's go back to the playground," he said.

we both stood up and made our way back to the stupid woodchips.

"these things suck," i spat, glaring at the ground.

darry laughed and then kicked the ground. "there. i beat them up for you!" he kicked the ground again.

i laughed and started kicking the woodchips too.

then my mommy came over and said it was time to leave, but i didn't want to say bye to darry yet.

i grabbed his hand. "can we take darry with us?" i pleaded, looking up at her with puppy dog eyes. darry looked between me and my mommy repeatedly.

my mommy laughed. "no, we can't sweetie. but i was just talking with his mother and they live down the street from us! so you'll see him again."

i looked at darry and then back at her. "promise?" i asked.

"promise," she replied with a smile.

i smiled at my friend. "let's play again soon!"

"okay! bye zak!"

that was the day i met my best friend in the whole wide world.

suggestions:

psa if you have made a request before and i didn't do it, either i lost the request or i couldn't figure out how to write it. therefore if you really want me to do it, def request it again and i will try :') sorry